Regarding the Horses in our lives...

Pics
I dont know much about color genetics....  except That black horses are most times born a silvery Grey....  Unless they are homozygous for black then they have a blue black sheen and are born very very black... doesn't fade.

My half Arab Gelding had a Black Grey Arab daddy.  His momma was a Sandy bay.  Marc was a light bay .... 

I had him from day zero till he was fourteen when he died of cancer.  that was in 1984

deb

We had a foal born who tested homozygous black. She was born black but she had darker stripes on her legs, shoulders and rump. They were sort of throw back primitive markings that make them hard to find in the wild (like zebra markings) they were gone when her adult coat came in. She was SAHAR's foal, and was just gorgeous! She grew up to make her new owner a wonderful champion western pleasure horse. She is a real looker and very very black like her mom, grand mom and grandfather. (Triple Blacklord Arabi granddaughter) Her mother was a double Blacklord Arabi granddaughter and Daddy was a Blacklord Arabi son. Yes, we were line breeding when we produced her to lock in those wonderful Blacklord Arabi genes. She was a total success. She had it all, the body, brains, disposition, looks and color. Everything anyone would want in a black Arab.

Ah....   But when shes ready for a less lofty job it would be nice to have her already trained in harness...  for variety.

I think all horses with the right mind can benefit from some driving.    but I am prejudiced.... LOL

deb

Driving is excellent training for a horse. That said, there are some flighty horses that were never meant to be pulling anything (takes a stable mind to be a good driving horse) my grandfather had a mare that lost it pulling his buggy. Veered off the road and headed for a lake. He couldn't stop her. She went into the lake buggy and all and kept going straight out until the buggy sunk and pulled her under. I wonder if she was stung and was fleeing the pain. He felt she went suicidal (I am sure it felt like that to him at the time) but why?? He said she gave no indication anything was wrong up to that moment!

Quote:
I hear there is quite an art to line breeding... Percherons technically are either black or Grey... Breeders that have a sorrel or bay popup will cull the foal... or simply not register them and sell them as grade draft. But you cant completely keep em out. In Europe they can be other colors because they breed them for meat... yep..

My girl is Canadian bloodlines for her sire American Bloodlines for her Dam Born grey she does have redish tint to her fethers on her hind feet from urine stains... and does sunbleach just a little.

But for the most part she stays pretty dang black.

Here is another picture

trainer Julie was a hunter jumper and cross country trainer.... she also happened to have a carriage driving license and drove for Cinderella Carriages in San Diego. She took the next step in training Katee for driving and for riding.

deb

Quote:
Harness and Carriage is the most dangerous way to travel with horses.... You have to be very diligent in choosing the horse and not skipping steps... I had my girl in long lines for two years before we tried to hitch her... She was six when I bought her. But man did she have a bolt on her...

Ooh got to go be back in about an hour....

deb

For the past 10 years, my TWH has always walked in place if she wanted to go. She would also do it if I asked. So recently I started incorporating that into our ring work. Then I did some reading and watched some videos on You Tube. I was most impressed with Lisa Maxwell's 6 minute intro to Classical riding. So me and Prisma are working on Piaffe now. As per Baucher and Racinet, I'm also incorporating the flexions . Classical riding is based on the horse always having his jaw relaxed which leads to a horse doing all work eventually on their "honor" . Instead of me holding collection, they do it on their own. Makes for a happy horse. And it's pretty easy.

A year ago I started her on shoulder in, and now it's to the point that I can adjust her angle/bend so easily.
So instead of gaiting round and round in the pen all the time, we now go out and play with simple exercises and have fun.

For the past 10 years, my TWH has always walked in place if she wanted to go. She would also do it if I asked. So recently I started incorporating that into our ring work. Then I did some reading and watched some videos on You Tube. I was most impressed with Lisa Maxwell's 6 minute intro to Classical riding. So me and Prisma are working on Piaffe now. As per Baucher and Racinet, I'm also incorporating the flexions . Classical riding is based on the horse always having his jaw relaxed which leads to a horse doing all work eventually on their "honor" . Instead of me holding collection, they do it on their own. Makes for a happy horse. And it's pretty easy.

A year ago I started her on shoulder in, and now it's to the point that I can adjust her angle/bend so easily.
So instead of gaiting round and round in the pen all the time, we now go out and play with simple exercises and have fun.

Oh this is awesome.... classical training is what I have the most experience in.... and soo good for all breeds and types.

I have only experienced Passage once.... Because once you get Piaffe then you can experiment on getting it to move forward... and it becomes Passage. So I have read.... My dressage training pretty much ended thirty years ago when I realized I didnt have the talent or dedication to move forward with it. But I have always read and had friends that "did"....

Thats why when I switched to driving horses I wanted to get involved in Driven Dressage... Life kind of got in the way of that one.

deb
deb

Quote:
I read it once and watched the video about three times.... Choked up every time. and Not for just her....

During WWI the US sent thousands of horses to support the troops... Many were Percherons for pulling Caisons.... and cannons.... Very very few came back.

Remember the play "War Horse"... The following is what I am paraphrasing from an article I just read...

"During WWI England was committed to sending a million horses to the front. Only problem was they only had about 25,000 horses. The rest were supplied by the US.....Between 1914 and 1917 around 1,000 horses were sent from the United States by ship every day. Many were Percherons. "

http://www.history.co.uk/shows/the-real-war-horse/articles/history-of-horses-during-wwi
There is only one black and white picture but its very very disturbing so pass on past it for the article. The article is about a page...

deb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom