Regarding the Horses in our lives...

Pics

This one is for you @Fancychooklady And any other horse people out here
smile.png

This is one of my favorites.

-Kathy

Last edited:
What is it with men and not "getting it? ":th

About a week ago, my husband decided to take a walk around the neighborhood at about 9:00 in evening. Since nobody else wanted to go, he took Syd. She hates being out without the others, of course; for the first block or so she was trying to trot, circling him, bumping into him - generally being an unmannerly brat. Eventually, she settled down to just walking beside him.

A few minutes ago, Hubby tells me he's going to take Syd for a walk again, and he wants me to help him harness her up and hitch her to the cart. This is a pony that you can't get behind to "drive" in long lines on her own yet; she gets so insecure she constantly circles back and wanders all over the road. Anybody else see something wrong with this picture? I was willing to go along on a walk, but I refused point blank to risk him and the horse getting hurt by hitching that flighty, spooky pony until I am sure she is ready. Now he's mad at me. :confused:

Last edited:
What is it with men and not "getting it? "
th.gif

About a week ago, my husband decided to take a walk around the neighborhood at about 9:00 in evening. Since nobody else wanted to go, he took Syd. She hates being out without the others, of course; for the first block or so she was trying to trot, circling him, bumping into him - generally being an unmannerly brat. Eventually, she settled down to just walking beside him.

A few minutes ago, Hubby tells me he's going to take Syd for a walk again, and he wants me to help him harness her up and hitch her to the cart. This is a pony that you can't get behind to "drive" in long lines on her own yet; she gets so insecure she constantly circles back and wanders all over the road. Anybody else see something wrong with this picture? I was willing to go along on a walk, but I refused point blank to risk him and the horse getting hurt by hitching that flighty, spooky pony until I am sure she is ready. Now he's mad at me.
hu.gif

Id put my foot down... but she really doesnt sound like a driving pony Do you long line her with blinders on? I had my trainer break Katee in a bridle without blinders... she seemed more secure that way... dragging things behind her was a non issue though.

deb

The problem is, Syd is a 6year old pony that gets fed a couple of times a day and has her feet messed with once or twice a month. The more she gets handled, the better she listens, she just really doesn't get much handling. I have long lined her a few times, but only with a halter and never with anything like frequency. The last time was kind of out of the blue about a month ago; she got so worked up about being out of the yard alone she wound up lying down in someone's driveway, and was acting colicky for about half an hour after we got back. :rolleyes

The problem is, Syd is a 6year old pony that gets fed a couple of times a day and has her feet messed with once or twice a month. The more she gets handled, the better she listens, she just really doesn't get much handling. I have long lined her a few times, but only with a halter and never with anything like frequency. The last time was kind of out of the blue about a month ago; she got so worked up about being out of the yard alone she wound up lying down in someone's driveway, and was acting colicky for about half an hour after we got back. :rolleyes

Hand walking her around the block is very very good practice for her in many ways... six years old is a good time to start... I started Katee for driving at six years old... I long lined her a good two years before I found a trainer that was willing to start her in the cart. I am neither quick or agile and thats what is needed.

The most dangerous time is that very first hitch... even with a pony I dont have to tell you how strong even a very small horse can be when they are determined or frightened. We hitched Katee with two people on her bridle with lead ropes and one to get in the cart.... She was fine with it all... No straight lines.....
gig.gif
but that comes with time.

Your girl should spend time dragging stuff way before she is ever hitched... Loose poles so she can feel them bumping her sides... I know i am preaching to the choir...

Even old timers can learn how.... A friend of mine had a 13 year old Quarterhorse trail horse... a liver Chestnut named Chief... She saw all the fun I had driving my colt and wanted to get on board. So we started him.... He was in the shafts by the end of the month... took to it like a duck to water... Cart BARELY fit him too.... LOL. But we followed all the steps even though he seemed ok with it. Dragging cans and poles and tires and wiggly stuff.... then pulling the cart without it being hitched. two people holding the shafts up next to his body while him being led. so he could feel the shafts when he turned.... if they are going to scoot thats when. He got a little puzzled at first but with encouragement he was off like a trooper.

EVen then on the first hitch I headed him up and Carol got in the seat. Rules are NO DRIVING with an empty cart.... You have a better chance of saving the day if a horse scoots forward if you are in the seat and prepared. A woman at the ranch were I was tried long lining her Very expensive Arab Stallion with the cart hitched. Not only did he get away from her but the cart flipped over one shaft got between his legs and it was a mile down the road before he ran into a car..... It didnt end well.

My other rule for first drives is doing it in An arena or large round pen..... Even if its the first hundred feet of driving and you feel confident going elsewhere...

deb

Sad, sad news everyone. The last Abaco horse in the world just died.
Her name was Nunki, she was about 20 years old and died of liver problems.

Nunki:

Nunki alone, as the last one:

Other Abaco horses, from years ago:

Once there were hundreds of these wild horses in the Bahamas, but now there are no more... not a single one left.
Despite being protected by the government, the horses frequently died from pesticide exposure. Once, after a child tried riding one of these wild horses and died, humans intentionally slaughtered as many of the horses as possible in an act of "revenge."
The Abaco was considered a type of Colonial Spanish horse with valuable genetics, now lost.
It's a grim reminder of the possible fate of other endangered horses...

Back
Top Bottom