registering for baby

A word of caution on the co-sleeping thing. My 7 yr old son slept with us until he was like 4. He still wants someone to stay with him until he goes to sleep. I was bound and determined NOT to have my daughter like that. Since day 1, unless she was really sick, she has been in her bed. She knows this and that is where she wants to go to sleep. Now, all that being said, it's sweet and everything to sleep with the little bundle of joy, but it is dangerous, and it will give you many more sleepless nights. Just some advice, use it or toss it.
tongue.png

my dd is expecting:
yippiechickie.gif
and everyone agrees the consumption is insane for a baby......no one needs all that stuff. BUT- Andora- where did you find the cloth diaper covers....that's the one thing we can't find!?

Last edited:
Your Walmart should have the diaper covers.
As for co-sleeping, our son gets to sleep with us on very rare occassions (like when he's not feeling well), and it is so much nicer. Lets hubby and I actually act like a married couple, plus if we don't want to go to sleep when he does, we don't have to. We weren't using a crib for the longest time either though. We had a Graco Pack'n'play that he slept in until recently. No worries about him accidentally tripping in the bed (yes, they WILL get up and play in bed at some point in time) and getting an arm or leg caught and snapped in the bars *shivers*.

P.S. Check into a Pack 'n' Play, seriously, they're so nice. For $50 (brand new, you could probably find one free on Freecycle or for $10 on Craigslist), you have either a full time bed for the baby for a good year, or a portable playpen and bed for when someone takes the baby for the night, or you can use it for ALL of those things.

Where have you looked?
lol.png
I loved buying new cloth diapers! I bought most of ours online. We have one cloth diaper store here but it's $$$.

www.diaperswappers.com has a forum where you can buy diapers and covers--it seemed gross at first to buy used, but honestly if you wash them well they are perfectly clean. I got most of ours used.

http://www.wildflowerdiapers.com/store/pc/home.asp
This site is a good place to buy from. They sell Bummis covers. We really liked those. I also liked Imse Vimse. The Thirsties covers worked well but didn't hold up to many washings like other covers did. They fell apart after a few months.

http://www.diaperpin.com/directory/directory.asp This is a list of online stores, most of them sell diapers and covers.

Last edited:
I was amazed at all of the stuff babies "need". We did use a baby tub because we have an extra deep tub and to put him in there until he was strong enough to sit up would have killed my back. One thing I would suggest you try to get your hands on is a baby swing. Consignment or craigslist should be cheaper, but it was a life saver for us. Our son had acid reflux and basically slept in it until 3 months when he could be on medication for it. It was either use the swing or hold him 24-7. I liked to sleep every once in a while. We didn't buy bottles because I was going to nurse, but at 3 months he decided he didn't want to do that anymore and we had to go to formula. We used filtered fridge water because we have a well and I wasn't sure of what might be in there to harm him. I figured it was just as good as the bottled water. We used a diaper genie mainly because he stunk on the medication and only used it for poopy diapers to save on the bags. We had a bear that liked to rummage though the garbage to find the dirty diapers if they sat out there longer than the one night before trash pick up. Disgusting. Hope this helps a little. Congrats and good luck!! Oh, and stock up on sleep now.
wink.png

I wanted to second the concept of bathing in the sink. It's a whole lot easier! One tip they gave me at the hospital is to fold up a towel and place it in the bottom of the sink in the water. It keep the baby from slipping around.

Also, I would have never made it through my daughters infant-dom had it not been for her bouncy chair. It's a must have!

Ew, what would a bear want with poopy diapers?
lau.gif

I get searching for food, especially meat, but...poop?

I think some babies love swings, and some hate them. My DD would puke every time we put her in it. If you have a baby that dislikes swings, try a wrap or a sling! They are life savers, hands free all the time with a happy baby. You can even walk around and nurse hands free AND with a wrap on, no one can see that you are nursing. I had a woman at Target once rudely open up the wrap to look inside at my baby, who was happily nursing and napping, and she got an eyeful. Didn't really bother me, but it was unexpected to have someone be so forward. The look on her face was PRICELESS. I don't think she was expecting to be flashed instead of just seeing a cute infant.

The bear probably just tore through them if they were in the way, but we never had the problem of them being ripped and flung if they were in the genie bags. Go figure.
idunno.gif
Probably wasn't really looking for the diapers.
smile.png
I agree that the swing can cause spit ups, so the bouncey chair would do the same thing as the swing, have them sitting up to sleep. My DS didn't like his bouncey seat. He likes them now when we visit our friend's house who has a 1 y/o. He tries to fit in it and gets mad when we tell him it is too small for him. *sigh* He will be 3 in June, so you get the idea of the independant thoughts.

I loved my wipes warmer, we cloth diapered and making your wipe solution you can leave it in the warmer and then dip in your cloth wipes. Also, those TINY baby washcloths have a use, cloth baby wipes! It's about all they are good for
roll.png

There are TONS of places for beautiful and awesome cloth diaper covers online. I even knit some myself.

We have co-slept with all three of our kids and they are fine, had no problems moving into their own beds. They do get a little needy at first but it was never an issue for us because when one was ready to move out of the big bed, there was already a sibling that they could cuddle with for a couple of weeks in their new bed while they adjusted.
My youngest is 3 and still sleeping with us and she was still nursing when she was 2. And no, I have never been bitten!

I am a very "crunchy" mommy. I have homebirths with my kids or hospital births with no drugs, all of my kids have been breastfed, cloth diapered, had no vaccinations, I made all my own baby food, I wore my babies in slings and wraps whenever I could, they only had wooden or natural toys, etc.
But don't worry, I'm not one of those crazy Hippy moms that goes off and bashes others for using disposable diapers or formula. While I may feel that it's best for baby to nurse and wear snuggly comfy cotton on their bum I'm not going to shove it down anyone's throat. Afterall, it's not my baby
wink.png
Every Mom is going to do what she feels is right.

Quote:
Pack -n -plays arent very soft. We used one with our oldest.. she never could sleep well in it, if at all. I ended up putting so many blankets in there to try to soften it up, I was afraid she would smother.
Co-sleeping is okay, if you get those little beds for them to sleep in. It is soooo dangerous to do co-sleeping. Adults do not realize how much they toss and turn while asleep. Babies tend to roll into the turns an adult makes. Try sleeping with a basket ball for a few nights. Afterwards, reasses the co-sleeping arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom