Regular egg laying behavior for several weeks but only 2 eggs??

NewbeeDoo

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 1, 2013
Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue...I have a Easter egger who is now 33 weeks old, she was the first in my flock to mature (unusual since she has a sister and 3 others that hatched with her, we got them from a friend when they were 3 months old). Odd thing is for the last 9 weeks, she's been acting like she's going to lay an egg, sitting in the nesting box for hour(s) singing the egg song but no eggs until about a month after she started that.
I can't find any evidence of egg eating at all! No wet spots or shells found, I did have a chicken egg eat before but this seems to not...maybe she is.
About a week after her first egg we got one more but nothing now! And none from her sisters either!
She's been squatting for the rooster for roughly seven weeks now and on physical exam it looks like she should be laying, not as much as a public bone spread as my other girls.
I've also palpated her abdomen thinking internal laying, but I don't know what I'm looking for...she didn't seem in pain though.
Has any one had something like this happen? Also, should I maybe just wait till her sisters lay? Just odd that she's started and then stopped. Any help is appreciated!

Chickens are silly, if you can't find evidence of eggs, can't find hidden nests, or rats/squirrels/pets stealing the eggs... well, she could just not be laying eggs. Days are getting shorter and often late spring chicks won't really want to lay till next year anyway. Depends on the bird. If they are healthy, I say no reason to fuss over no eggs. If you want some egg machines, just get a few leghorns and replace them every 2-3 years.

Thanks, so what you're saying its not unusual for them to lay a couple eggs then stop? It's not cold here either, I should probably mention we're in FL.

Not too unusual for new layers to be inconsistent. However, seeing as you live somewhere that chickens can survive as ferals with warm temps and more than 8 hours of light in the winter... I'd watch for something stealing eggs if all signs point to them actually laying, like a wide moist looking vent.

Thank you...I'm puzzled! I'd just think by now I'd have caught something out of the ordinary! Ok...I'll keep a look out though! Scouted their yard for nests today and didn't find any, even kept them cooped for a few days in a row...weird! Thanks for the input!!

Back
Top Bottom