Regulating heat for 2 week old chicks

snikrs11

Chirping
Apr 4, 2017
Hi there. I got 8 2 wk old chick's today. I'm a new chick mom and am worried . Ive read many posts here on heat but am still uncertain what to do. Right now I have a 250 red heat lamp on the left side of a large long brooder. The babies are sleeping under the lamp but panting. They have the ability to go to the other side here the lamp isn't but they're comfy near the lamp. So I'm concerned their panting and too hot but I would think they'd move away from the lamp if it was too hot. Right now it's 90 degrees F. I think I'm going to do the reptile heater or a heating pd. Things I've read about the lamps are scaring me.
IMG_20180310_162949438.jpg

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think a 250 watt heat lamp is too much at this point. 85 degrees would be enough. Can you raise the lamp a little higher? When I have chicks in the house I only use a 40 watt regular light bulb for 2 week old chicks and the lamp is about 16" over their heads. My 3 week old chicks are in an outside coop now with a 75 watt heat bulb.

p.s. I never use a 250 watt heat lamp because they scare me too!

If there is enough space.... well.. I don't understand why they wouldn't move away if they needed to.

I would first dip all of their beaks in water. .. maybe they are just thirsty and forgot where the water is.

Then I would move the heat lamp closer... (just for an hour while you watch) and see if they move away from it.... just as an experiment.

But yes, I too prefer the hot plates and heating pads verses the heat lamps.

Thank you both! They seem eggstreamly happy today. I slept next to them last night and kept moving the heat lamp to try and get it right at 85. They are very active today, perching and trying to fly. So darn cute!

This is at my local PetSmart but it says it's at a constant 100 degrees. Is that okay? And is it okay near shavings and the plastic bin? I'm not comfortable putting a human heating pad in there so I thought this would be the way to go or the regular 45 watt bulb.
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...gs-reptile-heating-mat-14791.html?cgid=500112

They don’t need 100 degree heat. If properly secured, a heat lamp is safe, but you certainly don’t see it in the house. Rather than rely on a thermometer for regulation, watch your chicks. If they’re huddled under the lamp, peeping loudly, they’re too cold. If they’re scattered to the far end of the brooder, they’re too hot. If they’re calmly moving around, chirping contentedly, you've got it right.

They don’t need 100 degree heat. If properly secured, a heat lamp is safe, but you certainly don’t see it in the house. Rather than rely on a thermometer for regulation, watch your chicks. If they’re huddled under the lamp, peeping loudly, they’re too cold. If they’re scattered to the far end of the brooder, they’re too hot. If they’re calmly moving around, chirping contentedly, you've got it right.
I like the sound of that thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom