Regulating Humidity During a Hatch--How do you do it?

Bravo

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
CA
This is the probably the most common topic on here but I am interested in how all of you regulate humidity during the hatch.

I went into lockdown at 60% humidity and it held between 60-65% for the first 2 chicks that hatched. Once several more started to hatch the humidity soared to 80%. At that point I removed the red plug but it wasn't going down fast enough so I had to remove one of my water sources (instead of filling the trough and having no control I used small plastic containers with screened tops).

Humidity dropped back down to 65% but I had to break lockdown.

This cycle kept repeating itself all yesterday. Then during night my humidity got really low and when I woke up to check on the peeps I had a chick that was shrink wrapped--luckily I caught it in time to save it. When I put the peep back in the bator there was another egg that had pipped early yesterday with no activity. I pulled it out and opened the pip area a little more and the chick was dead--and looked like it drowned.

I feel like I am getting both extremes going on.

For all of you hatchers--once you get into lockdown and chicks start hatching how do you keep humidity at 65% without breaking lockdown?

Chicky Tocks

Songster
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Benton, Arkansas
Pretty much the same as what you've done, but if the humidity won't come down after pulling all available plugs, I'll crack the top just a tiny bit for about 20 seconds.

Bravo

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
CA
Interesting
smile.png
Looks like I need to start timing my hatches better for the weekends
tongue.png

So is lockdown only really a myth?

Top Bottom