Rehabbing Duck

I would recommend giving the high vitamin b complex to her over the niacin capsules. It is one of the most effective way of treating niacin deficiency. You can also ensure how much she gets by administering it orally.

The main worry for me is if she has slipped tendons. It is not something that can be fixed at this age.
I don’t think she has slipped tendons. Both hocks are swollen like that. I think they were feeding her chicken feed too.
I filled the tub with water and she laid an egg. It was super small and no yolk. That seems like it would be a connection to deficiency ?

I don’t think she has slipped tendons. Both hocks are swollen like that. I think they were feeding her chicken feed too.
I filled the tub with water and she laid an egg. It was super small and no yolk. That seems like it would be a connection to deficiency ?
That is good that she doesn't have slipped tendons. Then hopefully it is just a deficiency and some swelling. While chicken feed usually has the minimum levels of niacin for ducks, Pekin require the most. So treatment for niacin is a good plan of action. Another vitamin mix to use on top of the vitamin b complex, is rooster booster poultry cell. I have seen it help other deficiencies and have started recommending it. It has a lot of other vitamins and minerals she could be deficient in too.

Water therapy should help her recover. You put her in deep water that she can't touch the ground in. It forces her to swim and takes the weight off her legs. It allows her to strengthen her legs with less stress.

The fairy egg, aka fart egg, is probably due to her previous living conditions. It happens a lot with new layers. It can be caused by stress as well. I occasionally get fairy eggs in the beginning of the laying season.

I can't remember, did you check the bottom of her feet for bumblefoot? It is pretty common for Pekin even in the best of living conditions.

That is good that she doesn't have slipped tendons. Then hopefully it is just a deficiency and some swelling. While chicken feed usually has the minimum levels of niacin for ducks, Pekin require the most. So treatment for niacin is a good plan of action. Another vitamin mix to use on top of the vitamin b complex, is rooster booster poultry cell. I have seen it help other deficiencies and have started recommending it. It has a lot of other vitamins and minerals she could be deficient in too.

Water therapy should help her recover. You put her in deep water that she can't touch the ground in. It forces her to swim and takes the weight off her legs. It allows her to strengthen her legs with less stress.

The fairy egg, aka fart egg, is probably due to her previous living conditions. It happens a lot with new layers. It can be caused by stress as well. I occasionally get fairy eggs in the beginning of the laying season.

I can't remember, did you check the bottom of her feet for bumblefoot? It is pretty common for Pekin even in the best of living conditions.
She doesn’t have bumblefoot but she does have scabs where her hocks are touching the ground. She is honestly getting around fairly well and seems to have a lot of life in her.
Do you know how long I should leave her in the bathtub when it’s full of water?

She doesn’t have bumblefoot but she does have scabs where her hocks are touching the ground. She is honestly getting around fairly well and seems to have a lot of life in her.
Do you know how long I should leave her in the bathtub when it’s full of water?
I think that depends on how well she is doing. If she gets tired easily, more shorter sessions would probably be best. If she can float pretty well, the she can probably stay in there for an hour or so. You will need to be the best judge about how long she is up to.

My guess is those hock joints are infected instead of it's feet. That is likely why they are so swollen. That is at least good you are not dealing with bumblefoot too.

It sounds like it may be possible for her to recover, maybe not to a fully 100% duck, but good enough to be happy and get around. It is likely just going to take time.

She is doing really well. Definitely getting more energy. Her legs are still swollen looking, but I don't think she will ever recover fully with her legs.

We had her on anti inflammatory drugs and vitamins of course. This week I actually gave her to my mother-in-law which will be her permanent home and she is continuing the meds and I believe she was going to get antibiotics for her.

We had her on anti inflammatory drugs and vitamins of course. This week I actually gave her to my mother-in-law which will be her permanent home and she is continuing the meds and I believe she was going to get antibiotics for her.
Hopefully antibiotics will help some. At least she has a better permenent home.

Back
Top Bottom