rehomed hen is lathargic and depressed...

Hillsvale

Songster
10 Years
Oct 20, 2009
Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
she is an egg layer purchased at a feed store (don't know the breed), I believe she is about a year and weights very little.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
she is lathargic, haven't noticed her eat or drink much though we do work all day. She hides under the coop and you have to bring her out and place on roost, in front of food etc. If you touch her side she actually falls over... she had laid a couple of post molt wacky eggs according to my friend, she has not layed with me.She will stay exactly where you put her for hours

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I believe the behaviour of her prior flock began several weeks ago, she was put into a crate by herself about 4 days ago and let out for supervised play time.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
A neighbour and friend asked me to take her girl two days ago because she was being brutilized in her current group and said neighbour thought her girls would kill her, she thought perhaps we could slip her into my growing brood of birds.
She (Ruby) and her prior flock mates all came out of a molt very recently... Ruby is still suffering from post molt homeliness and her prior flock managed to remove quite a few of her new feathers, she also has crusty butt feathers. Apparently she was always lowest bird on the totum pole, my 18 WO columbian roo has claimed her for himself and is doing the deed as often as he can which is why I think she hides under the coop (she's never had a roo before).

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
if I stand with her she appears to eat a bit and she will drink some.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
When she was brought over her poop was mostly clear like a thick water... I have not noticed her poo since her arrival (once again I work all day and don't get home until about 7pm)

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Wednesday I locked her in the coop by herself to give her a spa day (ie: no on bugging her), yesterday she seemed a bit perkier and though she should try and mingle. I haven't done anything different than with my own birds food wise because I don't know this chickens normal behaviours other than she is supposed to be quiet and a bit of a loner.
Today I put her with the meatie birds in their own run because they spend most of their day eating, drinking (which she needs) and free ranging their run.. and of course their food is a higher protien.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would like to treat completely myself

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
she just looks ratty and lathargic, slightly depressed for lack of better words.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
proper enclosed coop, lots of windows and ventilation, run is both wooded and grass... lots of shade and things to entertain. Her prior home was a converted poortion of a barn, enclosed run.

Last edited:
Well if she has anything contagious she has just exposed every bird you own. You should ALWAYS quarantine a new bird, but particularly one who you are told in advance is lethargic!

OK, now that that has been said; What about her abdomen? Is it swollen? With the discharge from the back end, perhaps she is laying internally??

What sort of "wacky" eggs has she laid? shelless?

I would at least isolate her and try vitamins/electrolytes in her water and determine how much she is eating and if she is pooping what it looks like.

Last edited:
I doubt she has anything contagious considering her prior flock mates are fine, I suspect she has been picked on the the point of her chicken self-confidence being pecked away...

She doesn't appear to have any swelling.. she has very little of anything meat or swelling wise and a very boney breast bone... I hadn't seen her healthy so I am not sure how much weight she may have lost, her recent eggs I believe were shellless.

Last edited:
No, not eating indicates something more than that. How about wormings? Has she ever been wormed?

humm... I don't know about worms, I can check I guess... giving her pumpkin would hurt things anyway.

Being new to chickens I assumed she was already run down from her girls and now hiding from the roo and his constant teenage attention thereby her not eating as much and now dehydrated and starving....

My chickens are all desperately energetic (sort of manic) so this girl is new to me... apparently she has always been desperately quite.

Well, from her history, if she was always the one picked on, she was probably kept away from the food as well at least to some degree leaving her more vulnerable to any normal flock stress factors such as worms, mites, flu or anything. The flock canary if you will. She would show first signs of anything wrong with the flock.

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge will pop in with something to try, or a wonderful answer for you.

In the meantime, I'm trying to help you figure out what it isn't or could be by just asking lots of questions til something rings a bell.

Last edited:
My first guess would be worms I am not sure how old your flock is but a good de-worming might be what you need to do just to be safe. Ask the person you got her from if she has ever de-wormed her chickens if not then that might be the place to start.

love.gif
appreciated...

Prior owner seems to have a vast amount of bird knowledge so I assume...
hmm.png
that she worms etc, she commented that this girl has always been the fall chicken and when coming out of their molt the others became 'Velociraptor' towards her... quite brutal in the description. She isolated her but when taken out for play time they almost killed her which is where I came in.

The day she was remomed she still just sat there and hung out with Linda and I... is a female or any of the roos but the columbian approached she pounced at them and pecked them... but she was no match for the columbian roo. Her comb is still a bit pinker and her waddles definately are... geez I hope she doesn't have something other than malnutrition!

Quote:
My birds at between 10 and 19 weeks.... prior owner is golfing today I suspect but will check on the worming... it won't hurt to get them a can of pumpkin though.

I asked about the worms due to her being skinny that is a sign that she might have worms, I just found this out the hard way and I am right now in the middle of de-worming project, I have decided to de-worm once year at molt so I am not losing as many eggs, If she is in molt and has not been de-wormed now is the time to do it. I am not sure what age you should start de-worming my youngest pullets are 4 months old and I am de-worming them also. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom