Rehoming Entire Flock- Help need Advice

AnonymousNJ7

Hatching
May 24, 2024
Hello!
I’m new to posting here. I am hoping to get some wise and experienced advice on how to rehome my flock.
Some background: I have 12 hens (several breeds) and recently added 3 Pekin ducks. The hens range from 3 years old to 1 year old. The ducks are maybe 5-6 weeks old.
My family and I love each and everyone of them, we even had roosters but since moving last winter we had to rehome them. Now we’re considering rehoming because we have realized we aren’t doing that great of a job, their run is starting to smell with the addition of the ducks and fear the neighbors will complain and we’ve had a mice issue that we’ve been battling with for a month or two. I also have a 4 month old so it’s been hard trying to care for everything and I don’t feel like I’m spending enough time with the girls/ducks.
I want to look for a good place for my flock but the rest of my family mentioned we should try selling the flock with the large coop and unopened bags of food we have for them. I can see what they mean as we’ve invested so much time and money, people sell chickens all the time but I’m just not sure if anyone would be interested in purchasing an entire flock and coop/food and if so how much should we sell for? Would it be wrong to sell?
I would appreciate any advice, thank you!

Pricing can vary quite a lot by geographic area, age of hens, and the quality/condition/transportability of the coop. In my area I see folks occasionally post about entire flocks of chickens, sometimes including coop and supplies. You could try offering up the entire package at a special price to someone who is willing to take everything. If it were me, I would post to my local backyard chicken Facebook page as well as Craigslist.

Pricing can vary quite a lot by geographic area, age of hens, and the quality/condition/transportability of the coop. In my area I see folks occasionally post about entire flocks of chickens, sometimes including coop and supplies. You could try offering up the entire package at a special price to someone who is willing to take everything. If it were me, I would post to my local backyard chicken Facebook page as well as Craigslist.
Thank you! I’ll look into these as well :)

On the menu bar where you see "Forums" you can select "find threads," just one way to find your state. Also this link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/#buy-sell-trade.67

And, the Farm and Garden section of Craig's list is what I'd use. Sorry you have to rehome them but you sound very responsible. If you find someone with a big patch of land for them you'll have great piece of mind knowing you did what's best for them and you. Good Luck.

Over 10 years ago we started chicken math in SC by buying a gentleman’s coop and flock. He posted them for sale at a TSC. My husband saw it and was able to get everything he had. The man had feel ill and could not manage them. It was nice large coop with laying hens and a number of roosters. We had the coop moved on a flatbed truck and my husband transported all of the chickens in cages and “Bob’s your Uncle”, we were chicken herders. Since the hens are laying already, as were the ones we got, someone wanting to get fresh eggs will find it a good opportunity. We only grew from there as the coop was large enough to add to the flock.

Look at options is always a good idea, might be letting the duck go and part of the flock would be a good fit.

They talk about chicken math, and more is better, and most of us have been bitten with that idea. But really a smaller flock is often times a lot less work, less feed, less water and even less eggs.

I think you should be able to sell it pretty easily, but probably not what you have in it.

I would suggest, $15-20 per head for the laying flock. I have no idea what ducks would bring, and depending on how badly I wanted the coop gone, I would try for 3/4 or 2/3's of what I paid for it.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom