Rehoming my Broody and Feeling so Guilty!!

I bought a small coop from a lovely older lady that enjoys her chickens greatly and admired her beautiful bantam lavender Cochin.
She called me recently to buy two cream legbar pullets and the day after she had them home she offered me the two Cochin because “they’re just no fun- they are always in the nest box and I don’t get to sit with them while they free range”

So of course I messaged her tonight because what do you think has happened? We broke their broodiness!

But she’s happy, I’m happy either way!

I just sold most of my flock today they are getting older and not laying like they used to, but they went to a family who wants them as bug control and eggs are just a bonus. So they are happy and I can get new chicks.
You definitely did the right thing for your birds, just like I did for mine. But I know its not easy.

Not all birds will fit in any set up. People feel so bad when they don't, but really it is better to solve the problem than keep dealing with it and just wishing it would go away. Always solve for peace of the flock. Keep a flock, birds that live in it can come into and go out of, whatever is best for the flock.

Mrs K
Thank you, I totally agree! I remember you saying that in many of your other posts Mrs. K, and actually had your very words in mind when I finally realized what I had to do. I'm willing to do whatever I can to give my birds the best possible life, even if it's with someone else. I try to see the flock objectively and I want to be strong... it sure seems like the right decisions should be so easy to make, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, I think I might be more tender-hearted than I thought I was. I can't help getting attached to the individual birds. I've only been a chicken keeper for 3 years, so maybe some more experience will make letting "the birds come and go" easier someday.

I just sold most of my flock today they are getting older and not laying like they used to, but they went to a family who wants them as bug control and eggs are just a bonus. So they are happy and I can get new chicks.
You definitely did the right thing for your birds, just like I did for mine. But I know its not easy.
Yes, doing the right thing can still hurt your heart. But it's really so much better than enduring an undesirable situation. That's what I love about all the different kinds of chicken folks... everyone has different needs or goals. It's so great that you and your birds and even the other family can continue to thrive, everyone wins! Good luck with your future chicks!

You also asked how that it would affect the rest of your chickens: there will probably be some bickering as they sort out their new pecking order. :) It sounds like you made the right decision all in all.:)
My oddly mean Buff Orp constantly bullied one of the flockmates she grew up with and was terrible at roosting time, hopping back and forth betweeen roosts, squawking and flapping and pushing everyone around to the point where one of the youngest girls had to sleep on the floor every night. I'm now showing that young girl she can safely be on the roost and hopefully soon she'll feel confident enough to start getting up there on her own. I was originally thinking they all might miss the ones who left, but after the new pecking order gets sorted, maybe things will actually be more peaceful. :fl

i finally gave up and re-homed my golden wyandotte, who bullied my other 4 hens something fierce.....'felt bad for her sake, as she's probably not getting treats every day...:).....but it is so peaceful in the run and coop now....i think it worked out for all of us and i know goldie is just fine....

This year I have had one heck of a time with all of my black and lavender Ameraucanas being broody, and also my mottled Java! Must be something in the air. After trying everything anyone has ever mentioned to break their broodiness, I finally found a safe solution. One side of my big enclosed run is fenced off, I put them in there and within days they aren't broody anymore. Best of all is I don't have to do anything else.

Back
Top Bottom