Rehoming silkie rooster :(

ally.alli.ally

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
How do you guys rehome your roosters? I bought what I was told a sexed silkie (3-4 months old at the time).

Well, "she" turned out to be a "he."
barnie.gif
I live in a residential area and my neighbors are not happy with him crowing early in the a.m. I put an add on craigslist for $10 but no hits. He is a beautiful boy and I would give him away if I knew he was going to a good home! Any advice?

Thank you!

You might want to call whoever you purchased him from and ask if they have any suggestions.. when I ended up with three roosters instead of three hens, the feed store took them back (and gave me a considerable amount of money for housing them so long). Of course, I think that was some sort of labelling mix up at the hatchery so I don't know if you would have the same outcome. Worth a shot, though!

In regards to craigslist, you'll probably have to offer him for free and just ask that he be a pet only.

I am in the exact same situation. I have to fine a new home for mine also, just found out tonight that she is a he! I hope you find a great home for yours!

Thanks, everyone. I hope the right person comes along.. and fast. I am getting up every morning now when he crows and I'm putting him inside in the guest bathroom shower (enclosed).. lol. At least this way the neighbors won't be complaining! I tried putting him in the coup, but he is just as loud as ever.

That was a great idea, lindseythefork, about taking him back. He was actually from an individual a few cities away that lived out in the boonies. I don't have her contact information and I would never find the house again. I actually asked her about the possibility of a rooster. She said I could bring him back but that I wouldn't have to worry about it. I guess I should have better kept her contact info! I'm nervous about putting him on craigslist for free. He has a great personality and deserves a good home- I'm terrified after hearing stories of the weirdoes that obtain free animals from craigslist and torture/abuse them.

Good luck, tiffanyhurd, rehoming yours as well- I hope you find an awesome home!
smile.png

You sure you don't want him, scratch'n'peck?
lau.gif

I don't know where you are, but check the phone book for any small animal farms/petting zoo's. I had to rehome my 2 silkie roosters, I found a local farm that takes in roosters. She rehomes most of them, but those she doesn't she keeps. Maybe some local farm will take him. I know how you feel, though, mine were pets also. We kept them in cardboard boxes in a storage shed until 8am every morning and my stupid neighbor STILL complained about the daytime crowing (after telling us last summer he didn't even hear them). Good Luck

petting zoos are a great idea.. and where are you??? maybe someone on byc is close enough to come get him then you know he's going to someone trustworthy..
they can send you pic as he grows and matures..

)O(

I am in South Ga.
smile.png
If anyone wants him, they are welcome to him! Also I have three white silkie chicks I would include if they were given a GOOD home with Fluffy.

He is a sweet boy.. to me.. but he attacks my husband at times so I don't know if a petting zoo would be a good idea. He may go ninja on someone! Great idea, though!

I'v called a couple chicken places around here but no one will take him due to the fear of contamination. Booooo!!

I would post a picture but I can't remember how to : / If anyone is interested I can send pictures for sure!

Thanks, everyone, for your support.

Back
Top Bottom