Reintegrating 3 mature roosters

bgrantalasykes

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
I am wondering if anyone has had success integrating mature roosters(that already know the flock). We have 3 roostera that got along wonderfully but were all separated for about 1month for breeding and to heal a frost bitten toe. Now they all believe they are the dominant rooster and so far the fights have been bloody and violent between each other. I was very naive and didnt think of these potentially irreversable changes to my flock :(.

A month is a rather long time. I don't know how that can work out. I recently separated my males for about a week. But all within sight/crow distance. haven't had any issues since I let them out together again. I have plenty of hens for all though and all these birds have been here since hatch.

With my Dominiques I have two systems at play. Sometimes I let multiple roosters out together, they fight and ding each other a bit, then they settle down usually as part of a large loose flock with dominant rooster getting most of hens following him closely. Roosting arrangements require more space with that otherwise lower ranking roosters typically roost in places not of my choosing although over time dominant bird will tolerate closer proximity of subordinates. The other system has smaller movable pen to individually contain each rooster making so only one runs with flock at a time while others are confined. I then rotate which rooster is out. My birds tame enough to call to pens with feed although you can also grab free-range bird off roost when his turn is over. Latter system give prettiest results.

With my Dominiques I have two systems at play. Sometimes I let multiple roosters out together, they fight and ding each other a bit, then they settle down usually as part of a large loose flock with dominant rooster getting most of hens following him closely. Roosting arrangements require more space with that otherwise lower ranking roosters typically roost in places not of my choosing although over time dominant bird will tolerate closer proximity of subordinates. The other system has smaller movable pen to individually contain each rooster making so only one runs with flock at a time while others are confined. I then rotate which rooster is out. My birds tame enough to call to pens with feed although you can also grab free-range bird off roost when his turn is over. Latter system give prettiest results.
The second scenario may work well, although these roosters were raised together they are just very different personalities and I'm afraid I have no choice but to keep them separate, we were planning to build 2 chicken tractors for the spring and I may be able to rotate the roosters so the hens aren't bullied and all my men stay happy. I think this is my best option as my weakest rooster (the one that keeps getting his butt kicked) is sort of a pet and I am not ready to part with him yet. Plus he isn't well and so he's no good for meat or sale. Thanks for the comments!

My individual pens are moved about as chicken tractors and are very easy to move so long as grass is properly mowed. Be careful, light means easily moved by wind and rolling can lead to disaster.

Back
Top Bottom