Reintroducing a Narragansett Tom back to the flock

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by PattySh, Jan 29, 2011.

1. PattySh

PattySh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Cambridge,VT
    I have 2 Tom turkeys and 4 hens. They share a large coop with a small flock of Chickens. Both Toms had a bit of respiratory illness and I took them out of the flock to treat them and they were in a small pen together. One has recovered and I returned him about 2 weeks ago to the coop. The second one who I didn't think would live is also almost better and it is time soon to consider putting him back also. The female turkeys pecked the first Tom a little but soon realized he was back to stay! I am worried about putting the 2nd male back thinking the first one had the girls to himself and they will fight. Thoughts on this? The Toms are probably about 8 months old or so and were raised together.

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    You shouldn't have much trouble just putting him back with his flock. There will be a little fighting but shouldn't get too bad.

3. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Just let them together and supervise it. It if gets too bad take him out and make 30 bucks.

4. PattySh

PattySh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Cambridge,VT
    Thanks for the answers. I'll be sure to pop him back in when I can be there to watch for a bit [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by