Reintroducing chick to others after injury

LBA830

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
I had to separate my leghorn chick after she had severe pecking injuries at 3 weeks old. She has been in a container beside the other chicks with a window so they can see each other still. Now they are 5 weeks and she is almost completely healed. So I tried to put her in with the others and do supervised time together and the others did not seem thrilled. One chick did come sit with me and the other chick while I held her, so that was a little reassuring. Also, I noticed that she seemed a lot smaller compared to the other girls. How can I make this transition easier on them all and safer for my leghorn?

Are they doing anything to hurt her? If they're not "thrilled" but not harming her or chasing her away from food and water, I'd leave them be.
When I set her down, they all rushed towards her and within a matter of seconds she was cornered and they did try to pecking. But,then again, she isn’t completely healed. You can still see some of the scab. I’m probably a little overprotective of her right now though. I know they’ll peck, I just don’t want her bullied again. I’ll probably keep trying supervised time together until she can go back. I hoping it’ll be by Sunday. Would it help to put her in at night and them wake up together? I’ve heard people try that with younger hens being introduced to the big hens.

When I set her down, they all rushed towards her and within a matter of seconds she was cornered and they did try to pecking. But,then again, she isn’t completely healed. You can still see some of the scab. I’m probably a little overprotective of her right now though. I know they’ll peck, I just don’t want her bullied again. I’ll probably keep trying supervised time together until she can go back. I hoping it’ll be by Sunday. Would it help to put her in at night and them wake up together? I’ve heard people try that with younger hens being introduced to the big hens.

I've never tried the "put them in at night" bit - I'd rather sit and watch to see what happens.

Generally chicks are pretty accepting of new chicks, up to around 8 weeks or so. Are these guys in the brooder still, or out in the coop? More space (or new space) would help as a distraction, i.e. if they're still in the brooder, take all of them out for some play time in the yard, and they should be so busy exploring that they won't really notice that she's back with them. Or if they're already in the coop, do some supervised free ranging, same idea.

Do you have pictures of what it looked like and what it looks like now?

Yes! I’ll share some photos. I’ll take a picture of her neck today. I can’t believe it healed the way it did. I used vetericyn and frankincense oil on her.

Attachments

• 81F5960F-EB1F-4833-89D4-FDB748168B8F.jpeg
    81F5960F-EB1F-4833-89D4-FDB748168B8F.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 8B0BA2E0-927F-439D-8692-DEDB7FF4DAF5.jpeg
    8B0BA2E0-927F-439D-8692-DEDB7FF4DAF5.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 56E9B924-3C0C-41BF-94BE-ED1DD85C0E54.jpeg
    56E9B924-3C0C-41BF-94BE-ED1DD85C0E54.jpeg
    434.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 01AF1791-ED2A-417D-A225-E848A4CDBFD6.jpeg
    01AF1791-ED2A-417D-A225-E848A4CDBFD6.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 2
Oh, that’s a major difference, how long did it take her to heal?
She took 3 weeks to heal enough for me to try and reintroduce her and have supervised time with the other chicks. I had to really watch them because they still went for her neck. Thankfully no more blood though. It closer to 4 weeks to have her back in with the others full time. Definitely keep using vetericyn. I’ve never used neosporin on my girls, but I don’t see why it couldn’t help. Once my chick had more of a scab look to her wound I diluted frankincense oil with fractionated coconut oil and used it 1-2 times a day and it truly sped up her healing. I hope your chicken heals up well and soon!

Back
Top Bottom