Reintroducing Quarantined Chick Question

Godzillamax

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Western Wisconsin
Picked up our order of 26 chicks from the feed store on Thursday. Woke up Saturday morning to two dead in the brooder and one more that was looking a little listless, but once you nudged it it seemed fine (will call this one chick A).

We have been very lucky in the five years we've raised chickens to never have a sick chick, so this was a first for us. Chick A one got progressively worse as the day wore on and we didn't think it would survive the night.

Sunday morning Chick A was still alive but lethargic, unstable on it's feet, didn't want to eat/drink and just not doing well and another chick (will call this one chick B) was showing the initial signs of sickness (a little listless, but would still eat/drink on its own).

Figured we had a coccidiosis issue so I ht the store Sunday morning to get get Corid and set up a second brooder to isolate the two sick chicks. Completely cleaned out the regular brooder, added new bedding, and added the Corid to the water for preventative measure to keep the rest of the flock from getting sick.

As Sunday wore on and the sick chicks were treated Chick A got better while Chick B got progressively worse. Woke up this morning (Monday) and Chick A seems to have fully recovered but Chick B was dead.

So, how long should I keep Chick A isolated by itself in the second brooder before putting her back in the regular brooder with the rest of the chicks?

Is it bad that I read “chick A” as chick-fil-a?!
I do not suspect cocci, anything your chicks had has already spread to the other chicks( don’t worry I don’t think those two chicks had any diseases) so I would try to put him back with the other ones. How long has she been separated?

Is it bad that I read “chick A” as chick-fil-a?!
I do not suspect cocci, anything your chicks had has already spread to the other chicks( don’t worry I don’t think those two chicks had any diseases) so I would try to put him back with the other ones. How long has she been separated?
Been separated since mid-day Sunday, so about 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom