Rejected Chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WhiteCochinLover, Feb 29, 2012.

1. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    My hen is setting on eggs and one hatched and when ever she sees it she pecks it.... what to do?

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have only had a broody once, so I have limited experience.

Is the chick under her? All the chicks stayed under my broody. Couldn't see them, only her the cheeping.

Can you keep the chick in a brooder until more siblings show up? I've had a chick arrive early and we keep it company until other chicks hatch.

Is your broody experienced and a good broody? Some broodies need a little practice to know what to do. Others just are not equipped to handle the entire job.

Hope this was helpful. GL [​IMG]

3. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Yes she is under her and I dont have a brooder. This is her first time being a mother.... I justn dont know what to do cause she is in the big coop with the roo and other hens and I am scared that they might attack the baby....

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Your concern shows good sense. SHe should be removed to her own private set up. For now, can you block off the area she is currently in until the eggs finish hatching??

A broody normally leaves the flock to find a quiet out of the way place to hide her eggs. SHe would not be brooding near the rooster and other hens. She then abandons the nest and brings the chicks home. She then needs to protect the chicks from other hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by