Rejected duckling!!! HELP

O
You are correct! I’m in the UK!

That’s great advice thank you very much. Yes it hatched this morning so 4 hours ago, but it wasn’t fully hatched when mum chucked it out. Just it’s head was out. The duckling has started shuffling a little but still not walking yet. Seems to be holding its head up for a second at a time.
It’s currently at my workplace with me under the heat lamp so i keep it here until 5pm in the uk (4 hours from now) and then try and reunite with mumma duck. See how that goes…. Mumma duck is a sweet duck just extremely stubborn and rough when she wants to be !
Obviously I will only attempted to reunite them if the duckling is showing normal signs of moving. Otherwise it feels slightly like I’m leading it to its death…. As you said being stepped on!

She'll be gentle with her ducklings. They are fierce protectors though lol. When you take the duckling in there with mama and the other duckling have the duckling in you hand with the duckling shielded by your hand just in case she goes to attack you she won't hit the duckling . Also observe how she is doing with the other duckling before putting this little one with her.

She'll be gentle with her ducklings. They are fierce protectors though lol. When you take the duckling in there with mama and the other duckling have the duckling in you hand with the duckling shielded by your hand just in case she goes to attack you she won't hit the duckling . Also observe how she is doing with the other duckling before putting this little one with her.
Duckling dated-
We are walking and moving!!
The only odd thing I’ve noticed is that she/he shakes their head every few seconds! Hopefully just where it’s drying off 🤔

Great news!!
Evening update:

Duckling has been with mum for 2.5 hours….. the was a tiny bit of nudging to begin with in the first 15 minutes but I don’t know if she meant to move it out the way to make the nest or she was purposely pushing? I wouldn’t say it was violent in anyway.

I’ve left her alone for the last 2 hours and have gone to check every 30 minutes and the duckling is under her… and has moved sides a few times.

How long till I know if she’s taken it in? Would she react immediately?

Evening update:

Duckling has been with mum for 2.5 hours….. the was a tiny bit of nudging to begin with in the first 15 minutes but I don’t know if she meant to move it out the way to make the nest or she was purposely pushing? I wouldn’t say it was violent in anyway.

I’ve left her alone for the last 2 hours and have gone to check every 30 minutes and the duckling is under her… and has moved sides a few times.

My main concern is that she’ll Chuck it out after I’ve gone to bed and it’ll freeze to death… ! Definitely giving me anxiety

Since the duckling is under her and mama hasn't actually kicked her out all will be well. All you can do is check up to bedtime and if everything still looks good. Hopefully, it will be. We can't tell you anything for sure but it does sound reassuring since she has let it under her.

Evening update:

I think she would react immediately. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom