Relatives

I have a 5 yr old, and well she isn't the best at listening when there are chicks or ducks brooding in the house, so the extra room has a simple 2$ lock n latch lock at the very top, where an adult can reach but a kid can't. Go to lowes or home depot or any hardware store and buy one. All you have to do is pre-drill you a little spot in the door and door frame, put it about 6" from the top of the door, and this way you can be sure any kids can not reach it.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/3x2_latch.jpg

Alright, so the relatives are going to arrive any minute. (Let the madness begin...) Mom wasn't too worried so no measures will be taken except to lay down the rules.
sad.png
(Which I will probably post on the door) I called my aunt to tell her about the ducklings and to voice my worries. She agreed that the kids will not be allowed in the room without supervision. I hope since she knows that I'm worried she will keep a closer eye on them. (She usually doesn't do much parenting when she is here as this is her 'vacation home') I have been taking the ducklings out to the pond to go swimming everyday. (I go in w/ them) I know that the kids are going the go in the pond a lot, ESPECIALLY if the cute little ducklings are in. I wasn't planning on taking them to the pond when the relatives were her, but mom basically said "Uh, yeah, you are" She loves to watch them play in the water. So, what rules should I set for when the ducklings are in the pond?

Well I'd say no splashing them or touching them while they're in there is probably the best you can do, just let them watch and appreciate from a safe distance, especially as the ducklings are at more of a risk of drowning/getting waterlogged/getting too cold because of the water without their proper feathers and waterproofing
smile.png

I would keep an eye on that door. People visiting sometimes open the wrong door (oops, I thought this was the bathroom) and then don't latch it behind them.

I feel for you. I hated being a teenager with child guests in the house--no one ever respected my rights, I was expected to "be nice" to the children, and it never mattered if they were brats or damaged my stuff. Argh, bad memories!! lol

And even worse if the mom thinks that "vacation time" means "no discipline" time. I have a feeling her children don't listen well. The two attitudes go together.

Okay. Rules. Definitely no playing with the ducks in the water--watching only. ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NO DOGS in the water while the ducks are. That would be disaster.

And can you at least get the ducks up high so if the dogs get in your room they can't reach them easily? That way if it's an "oops" moment it will hopefully be caught before any damage is done.

I really feel for you. I'm a parent and I understand about making the rules and being in charge because I pay the bills and all that but... kids have rights too, and it sucks to be in a powerless situation like that.

The good news is that 8-year-olds (most) are usually fairly reasonable human beings. They are also capable of being responsible. Appeal to their better side and ask them to help you keep the ducks safe. If they feel like they have a job to do in keeping them safe, they're more likely to be a help rather than a hazard. Put them in charge of checking the rules before entering the room, make them the police for the pond rules, etc. You could even let them take turns being the "door monitor" and making sure the door is properly closed at all times.

Good luck.
smile.png

They are much better than I expected! Even the dogs weren't that interested in my babies. The kids-who usually don't listen very well-were really good about it. One of them didn't even want to hold them b/c she was nervous, probably that she would hurt it. I think they keep a lot of animals. They even used to have ducks! They've been pretty good about it, but the door did get left open once!
ep.gif
I scolded everyone who swore it got closed and that they checked and everything. I was really surprised though, as when I had left my aunt was with them and I told her to make sure the door got closed and latched. Thankfully no disaster happened. Another cousin came as well, around 11 years of age. My aunt's child is a bit of a brat sometimes, (I know I shouldn't say that...)though it is less worse than I remember. (The other two aren't hers, they just sort of came) I don't feel completely powerless, (Though I expect I will probably feel taken advantage of my the end of the visit, as I am often used as a complementary babysitter, and end up mothering the kids more then my aunt does. Example: I sent the kids to bed about 15min ago. Though I still hear them running around...) nobody minds much if I disappear to my room or my neighbor friends house for a few hours. It helps that I like kids. I can appeal to my mom if things get too bad, and she'll usually side with me. There's a cousin who is my age here as well, and he is fun to hang out with. The kids mostly play on the pond. The ducks and dogs will take turns being outside. I like the idea of giving them responsibilities; though I have the feeling that 'police' will turn into 'dictator'. Thanks guys! You made me feel a whole lot better!

If you have a chicken wire pen that the kids can't reach over, I would put the ducklings in a dog crate and put the crate inside the chickenwire.

So.Ticked.Off. Remember what I said earlier about not feeling powerless? Well that all just went to crap. The neighbors wanted to come over to meet my ducklings, and so we were going to take them to the pond. I was putting together a marinade, so mom took them out ahead of me. I went outside to find the 8-year-olds trying to chase and hold the ducks while they were in the water, and the dogs were out as well! And no one would listen to me! The best I got was that they wouldn't hold the ducks, and (Said in a heavily sarcastic voice)"Look! They're fine now! You're going to have to let them go sometime!" Yes, I know very well that I'm going to let them go sometime, but they're &%#@ a week and two days old!! They wouldn't even put the dogs inside. I AM SO ANGRY!!! My mother put the safety of my 'babies' at risk, and she doesn't seem to care! And I'm pretty sure she realizes how important they are to me. And everyone thought I was overreacting. And this was when I was suppressing most of my anger. All I did was look at mom and say "I'm pretty ticked at you right now" ARRGGG Do you think I was being overprotective and overreacted?

Sorry guys, but I really needed to rant
rant.gif

ep.gif
You have every right to be angry, especially after you specifically explained the rules regarding contact/water/dogs! I'd be fuming
somad.gif

Personally I think you should explain that because everyone ignored everything you said, the ducks will be out of bounds to everyone from now on, including your mum. Just give them all a good telling off!
rant.gif
smack.gif

I didn't get a chance to explain all the rules! And since I didn't before everyone went in, if I did then, everyone would have taken it the wrong way. I think my mom did understand some of the boundaries though. Its just so hard to make oneself understood with all the chaos

Back
Top Bottom