Releasing BobWhites

protodon

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Nottingham,PA
Does anyone have any info about raising Bobwhites strictly for release?? I'm trying to research bobwhite conservation efforts but it seems to me that when speaking of bobwhite quail, conservation only means conservation so we can hunt them. I can't find any info about how to raise and release them to try to establish permanent populations. I know for a fact that there aren't any in my area even though they are apparently native to where I live. I assume I'd need a flight pen so they would be conditioned to fly but then how does one transition them so that from a commercial feed to sticks and berries?!? These are important details!

From what I have read you would need to have and breed extremely large quantities of quail to establish a flourishing flock in your area. This is due to the fact that quail in the wild do not live very long. They are on the bottom of the food chain and fall prey to everything. So you would have to contantly be releasing massive amounts for the best survival numbers. Quail also need a variety of grasses for various reasons to survive. For hiding, nesting, eating, etc. Quail also tend to spend their entire life in a very small radius, I believe about 1 sq. mile. Maybe someone else has more info but this is what I have read.

It depends alot on weather where you are, predators, eyc. but the percentege is like 5-10% of the amont of quail you realese would survive so you'd have to realese like 1,000 to get 50-100 birds.

before you release anything you had better contact the wildlife & fisheries department...there might be a good reason you don't have quail in your area...some areas can't support them. Also they will be very worried about disease and such...

On the other hand...gotta raise them in a flight pen and they gotta get scared and fly! feed grains not processed feeds...don't raise the goofy giants or anything (their size will shrink but the bigger birds don't fly as well) also the odd colors are predator magnets...one thing you can do is supply a very low shelter with water and grain for the birds once they are released and building their numbers.

those are good numbers on survival rates...check with quail unlimited about restocking efforts

Back
Top Bottom