Relentless Hawk...Help!!

Gardeningmama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Well, it finally happened...I lost my first chicken to a hawk. I'm thinking it's a Cooper's, but gonna research that out a bit more. I walked out the back to feed them, and he was just sitting there having one of my Lavender Orp's for lunch on the ground by the coop.The penned up birds were screaming like a woman, and the others were hiding in the bushes, scared to death. It was truly horrible. We penned everyone up for the rest of the night and chased him off.
This morning I decided not to risk it, and only let them all out in the covered closed runs, Thank God. Within 15 minutes he was back, and literally stalking my chickens on the ground, around the run. He kept running back and forth, back and forth. The birds were all huddled in the furthest corner, terrified. My husband has been chasing him off all morning, and he keeps coming back, right to the run door. Is this type of behavior normal for even a hawk, and what the heck should I do? I know I'm not supposed to shoot them, but I really think I might break the law on this one!
Any advice is welcome.

Can you call the animal control services in your area? They might be willing to help you or give advice.

Sorry to hear about your hen :( We had a Cooper's hawk watching our chickens last month but luckily didn't physically harm any.

Good luck!

Do you have any roosters in your flock? I've yet to have trouble with hawks, but I hear that roosters will deter smaller hawks. Back at my old place I fed the crows and they chased off the hawks and my one dog hung out in the yard with the chickens so he kept most predators away. It's probably a younger hawk, they tend to be more ambitious about going after prey near humans. An older bird would probably back off after you scared it away a few times.

I have a relentless Coopers hawk stalking my girls. I have caught him in my yard 20 feet away from the coop, in the tree above the coop and it seems like he is searching and waiting for me to make a mistake and make my girls easy prey! Not going to happen! I will not free range ever again! The only thing I will feed that hawk is lead not one of my girls! And it will be an SSS! I think it is time you thought about it! I know plenty of peeps that have legal or not!

I've only had chickens since February of this year, and have free ranged them all (except the Seramas&D'Uccles) without a problem, 'till now. I do have roosters, but only 2 that are mature, and they run with a different flock. The pullet that was killed has 2 cockerels in her flock, that have the size, but no testosterone, yet.Poor thing, those boys headed for the hills, (hope it's not an indicator to their future flock protection skills, LOL!). I have to say though, the determination of this *$#! makes me believe no rooster will stop him.
I read about the owl statues and such, and think if he's not afraid of my screaming and flailing arms, then why would I waste money on a statue?
As irony would have it, I have always loved hawks, and any bird of prey, really. I just found out though, I LOVE MY CHICKEN'S MORE!!!
barnie.gif

I have a relentless Coopers hawk stalking my girls. I have caught him in my yard 20 feet away from the coop, in the tree above the coop and it seems like he is searching and waiting for me to make a mistake and make my girls easy prey! Not going to happen! I will not free range ever again! The only thing I will feed that hawk is lead not one of my girls! And it will be an SSS! I think it is time you thought about it! I know plenty of peeps that have legal or not!

My husband just got back from a friends with a pellet gun that looks like an assault weapon. We'll see what happens.

The plastic owl thing does nothing, IMO. We used one in the garden to keep the Mockingbirds from the veggies and strawberry plants, but it's useless with regard to the hawks.

This is my third attempt at raising chickens and Both my last flocks were lost to predators! I had them B.C. {before computers} So I was very uneducated! This time I think I went over board with predator proofing. One of my strongest ones is no free range! I live in the woods and it is to risky! Let me know how that gun works for you. I need something a little less noisy than my 20 gage!

roosters can kill hawks but he needs to be mature .. i have herd of roosters killing red tail hawks it just depends on the roosters and how old they rae ... why don't you take a big roo and put him in with the other flock for a bit

In Oklahoma we can kill a preditory bird if it is killing our livestock. I suggest you contact your wildlife department and ask if the bird can be exterminated. I'm sure the answer will be yes. Then load up the 12 gauge smoke wagon and shoot yourself a hawk.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom