Relocated from Sonora, CA to Kamiah, Idaho.

I love my raised coop for the hens to go under in bad weather or wind. I just crawl in it to clean once in a while.
I use deep bedding method and love it , I also have poop tray under their roost. That's my opinion.

I would go with Australorp. I live in hot and cold and they do great here. I have 4 full sized hens. Good luck on your relocation.

Definitely this! Build to your own comfort and convenience, not the birds'.
Sounds like good advice! We drove to Lewiston today and ended up buying 60 2x4’s and some 1/2” plywood. We settled in our minds to build a 4x8’ coop and the run will be 8’x12’. I would like to end up with 2 black and 2 blue australorps and a roo. I went to 2 places today and they will be getting the black ones about every Fri for awhile but no blue. I don’t know if i should chance trying to mail order them because I’ve done that before and half of them were DOA, sad.

Sounds like good advice! We drove to Lewiston today and ended up buying 60 2x4’s and some 1/2” plywood. We settled in our minds to build a 4x8’ coop and the run will be 8’x12’. I would like to end up with 2 black and 2 blue australorps and a roo. I went to 2 places today and they will be getting the black ones about every Fri for awhile but no blue. I don’t know if i should chance trying to mail order them because I’ve done that before and half of them were DOA, sad.
Aww, that is sad! I had a shipment of chicks sent to me a couple of years ago in what turned out to be a freak blizzard, and they were all DOA! But I alerted the hatchery immediately and they sent out a replacement shipment right away. Of that shipment of 12 (I think), 3 were DOA, and they credited back my credit card. Most hatcheries will work with you if you let them know there is a problem. There is a lot of competition out there and they work very hard to keep their customers happy. I've ordered from Meyer, Cackle and now Mt. Healthy and have had nothing but good experiences with all of them.

A raccoon can reach through that and grab a chicken. He can get the chicken's head through, but that's all.

A lot of people who have that kind of fencing will line it with hardware cloth up to about 4' high. It's also a good idea to put an "apron" around the bottom of the run, fencing lying flat all around about 2' out and covered with dirt, to foil diggers.

What kind of wire do you have on your runs?
1/2" hardware cloth with a solid roof.
run complete.jpg

Back
Top Bottom