Relocating

jasonvanorder

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2017
West Michigan
Well time for everyone to meet Earl. Earl has been crashing in our nesting boxes off and on for about a week now. He doesn’t bother the chickens just goes for the eggs. Eats all he can then curls up for his nap. This weekend we are going to relocate him to the woods farther away. I know they can be beneficial but not when he’s eating our eggs.
73AFA99E-065D-4FDF-8456-0C87CF99426A.jpeg
A5831BA0-9F7A-4C2C-B9F2-1076DFB75CC5.jpeg

Well time for everyone to meet Earl. Earl has been crashing in our nesting boxes off and on for about a week now. He doesn’t bother the chickens just goes for the eggs. Eats all he can then curls up for his nap. This weekend we are going to relocate him to the woods farther away. I know they can be beneficial but not when he’s eating our eggs. View attachment 2452849View attachment 2452850
Awe! How long has he been with your chickens??

That's dumb....letting him stay in your coop AND the relocating.
Well we don’t let him stay. Still haven’t figured out how he’s getting in. There are no holes anywhere.
Also because of where I live I can’t just shoot him. Plus I would rather move him than kill him. The majority of the county I live in is mostly wooded. I could move him far enough away that he won’t come back.
If that’s not good enough for you you can gladly come deal with him

Awe! How long has he been with your chickens??
Found him last weekend. But because of work schedules haven’t been able to do much more than toss him from the coop. Did that last weekend today is the first day he’s been back. With the holiday coming I’ll have more time off to deal with him. Still have no clue how he’s getting in

Well we don’t let him stay. Still haven’t figured out how he’s getting in. There are no holes anywhere.
Also because of where I live I can’t just shoot him. Plus I would rather move him than kill him. The majority of the county I live in is mostly wooded. I could move him far enough away that he won’t come back.
If that’s not good enough for you you can gladly come deal with him
Hopefully he won't become someone else's problem. There are wildlife rescue organizations that will take them and usually have places for relocations.

Well time for everyone to meet Earl. Earl has been crashing in our nesting boxes off and on for about a week now. He doesn’t bother the chickens just goes for the eggs. Eats all he can then curls up for his nap. This weekend we are going to relocate him to the woods farther away. I know they can be beneficial but not when he’s eating our eggs. View attachment 2452849View attachment 2452850
I'm glad you aren't killing him but however he is getting in, a raccoon can also enter.
I can't believe you picked him up and he didn't bite you. I have a fondness for them despite that they are ugly because I think they get a bad rap for killing chickens when it's something else and they just came along and found the spoils.

Hopefully he won't become someone else's problem. There are wildlife rescue organizations that will take them and usually have places for relocations.
Near me we have a state game area that has hundreds of acres that I plan on bringing him to. Far enough away from anyone

I'm glad you aren't killing him but however he is getting in, a raccoon can also enter.
I can't believe you picked him up and he didn't bite you. I have a fondness for them despite that they are ugly because I think they get a bad rap for killing chickens when it's something else and they just came along and found the spoils.
Picking him up didn’t bother me a bit. They are ugly but are very beneficial too. They eat a ton of bugs like ticks. We haven’t seen any raccoons in my entire time living there (grew up in that house). So besides a random possum and a few deer here and there in the garden not too many predators around

Back
Top Bottom