Remedy for Sour Crop

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
I have a six+ week old Rock who has sour breath for a couple weeks. In every way (eating, drinking, poo, energy etc.) she was fine but definitely had sour breath. I began giving them all extra yogurt. Olive oil was suggested to me as well but I did not really like the ideas for getting her to eat it, like using a dropper and dripping it into her beak on the right side to avoid her aspirating it. Too risky for my taste.

Anyway, they LOVE their plain yogurt so I added a couple teaspoons to about 1/2 cup of yogurt and they gobbled it up AND the sourness in her breath is gone. I can only credit this remedy and adding the olive oil to the yogurt made it super easy and they all benefited.

I realize this wouldn't work if it is to the point a girl isn't eating but if it is caught early this really seems to have worked!

o0live oil and yogurt are both good. also try some apple cider vinigar. either add it to thier water at a rate of 1 tbs per quart or if you can get her to drink it straight, that's even better. good luck!

I wonder if this is a good thing to do as a preventative measure? I have 19 3 1/2 old chicks now. I lost one because it had grain stuck in its throat. It must have found some that the older birds missed. Anyways, I suspect some clogs to appear again, as some of the little critters eat everything in their path. I have a broody hen who is raising them all, and I let her free range with them part of the day. It's amazing how good they all are at pulling worms from the ground. It's darn right hilarious to see them chase a flying bug.

Quote:
I see you're new to BYC so...
welcome-byc.gif

I have been giving my girls yogurt since they started freeranging just to help keep their tummies happy. Both the olive oil and yogurt are great for them and I plan to keep giving it to them just as a preventive measure and to help keep their little bellies working nicely. It can't harm tham and can only help!

Back
Top Bottom