Remember Shadow? Pics of her & a couple others today

Tell Shadow congrats on her first egg.
Hasn't the weather been beautiful? That silly northern groundhog may have predicted 6 more weeks of winter up north, but the southern one - General Beau Lee - said it's over for us. Spring is on it's way!
big_smile.png

That egg had no yolk. Hopefully, her next one will be a more normal size. That one isn't even pullet egg size!

Kat, tonight, it will go to less than 10 degrees here, so we're still in winter. Snow is flurrying outside, too. BUT, by Saturday, we'll be back in the 60's. Yippee!

Quote:
Yep, I forgot that y'all are still getting that cold that left us about a week ago. According to the long range forecast tonight is suppose to be our last cold night for awhile, 29 degrees. After that the lows are s'pose to be no lower than high 30s with daytime temps in the 60s and 70s. I am soooo ready.

AFter laying three tiny yolkless eggs, she began laying very nice sized eggs for her little tiny self. Today, I got a scare, though.
Saw one of the BR roosters mate her today. She didn't get up right away afterward, either, and my GLW girl, her best gal pal, Vada, came over and sort of pecked at her, which scared the daylights out of me. I called for Tom to check her out. She seems fine, but I couldnt even see her under him. I thought sooner or later,she'd squat for one of my big boys, though.

Well, I hesitate to say it, but I think Shadow is going broody. She screamed and screamed today when I touched her while waiting for a nest to be vacated. Then I go out two hours later, and she is still on that nest. She screeched and bit me when I reached to pet her. She did lay her egg and was sitting on two huge ones in addition to hers. She may not be there yet, but it's coming, I think. I'll see if she's on the nest tomorrow morning. So, how many Blue Orp eggs can she sit on, ya think? I've pulled five jumbos out from under her before and she was covering them just fine.

Back
Top Bottom