• YeP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The WinterWolf

Crowing
Apr 12, 2021
Northern CA
here's a story of my first handicapped chicken

At the time, i didn't know what Straight run meant. this was may 16, 2020, and i was heading to tractors supply to see if i could get chicks. i saw these striped ones, and i thought they would be perfect. so, i called someone over, and my eyes were fixed on 3 of them, one was a girl, mentally disabled at that. and the other two were boys. the moment i saw lay-a, i loved her. she was small. and dinky. but she looked up at me with googly eyes and that was all i needed. i took her home, along with some bantams and mystic onyxes, and her own siblings. i let them climb all over me on the car ride home, and lay-a rode on my shoulder. i got home, and let them explore my concrete driveway, and showed them their brooder. my dog came out of the house, looked at lay-a, and sniffed her all over. and lay-a just stood there, and that's when i knew, she was special.

after my birthday (2 days later)

Lay-a and me had bonded quite a lot. She would follow me around, and when i called her, she would come. i would put her in the bin, and she would chirp and chirp until one of her siblings would hop on her saying "shut up".. she didn't want her flockmates, she wanted people. soon, she grew bigger. but, she was so small! she was about half the size of her flockmates.

a few months later

Lay-a became bald on the front of her neck, and she had a looong chicken hairdo in the back. i would braid her loooonng feathers, and she would go around, looking like a bald rapunzel. she was always a hot mess, and she had crusty whiskers while her brothers had fluffy ameraucana beards. she was adorable. she was only about the size of two bricks stacked on top of each other.

at least, until she died. she was the best birthday present ever. she was definitely a mentally handicapped bird, or she was just goofy as whatever is beyond heck.

IMG_20200910_121914268.jpg
IMG_20200909_155843495.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like she saw you as her mother. She most likely thought you were her flock. She probably saw herself as a human and not a chicken. She may have had development problems considering her feathers being strange, and her death.

here's a story of my first handicapped chicken

At the time, i didn't know what Straight run meant. this was may 16, 2020, and i was heading to tractors supply to see if i could get chicks. i saw these striped ones, and i thought they would be perfect. so, i called someone over, and my eyes were fixed on 3 of them, one was a girl, mentally disabled at that. and the other two were boys. the moment i saw lay-a, i loved her. she was small. and dinky. but she looked up at me with googly eyes and that was all i needed. i took her home, along with some bantams and mystic onyxes, and her own siblings. i let them climb all over me on the car ride home, and lay-a rode on my shoulder. i got home, and let them explore my concrete driveway, and showed them their brooder. my dog came out of the house, looked at lay-a, and sniffed her all over. and lay-a just stood there, and that's when i knew, she was special.

after my birthday (2 days later)

Lay-a and me had bonded quite a lot. She would follow me around, and when i called her, she would come. i would put her in the bin, and she would chirp and chirp until one of her siblings would hop on her saying "shut up".. she didn't want her flockmates, she wanted people. soon, she grew bigger. but, she was so small! she was about half the size of her flockmates.

a few months later

Lay-a became bald on the front of her neck, and she had a looong chicken hairdo in the back. i would braid her loooonng feathers, and she would go around, looking like a bald rapunzel. she was always a hot mess, and she had crusty whiskers while her brothers had fluffy ameraucana beards. she was adorable. she was only about the size of two bricks stacked on top of each other.

at least, until she died. she was the best birthday present ever. she was definitely a mentally handicapped bird, or she was just goofy as whatever is beyond heck.

View attachment 2912947View attachment 2912948
How sweet! I'm so sorry you lost her. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom