remote temperature gauge.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DutchieWannabe, Nov 15, 2010.

1. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    purely out of curiosity, i was thinking about getting a remote thermometer for the coop, just to see how cold is will get this winter inside. has anyone tried this?

i've seen some fairly cheap ones at walmart. so i would hang the remote thermometer in the coop and keep the digital reader inside my house so i can have an idea of how cold my ladies can handle it. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I bought a couple recently. (They were on clearance) I put one sensor in the coop and one in the garden shed. I put them in 1 qt ziplocks to keep the dust out. Seem to be working fine so far, but not much winter yet.

Imp

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Imp's right...winter isn't here yet. The range will probably decrease in colder weather due to lower transmitter power but still may be sufficient for the distance used.

I purchased one that also has a remote hygrometer...now if I just had a coop to put it in. [​IMG]

Ed

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Batteries do not work well in extreme cold, thus there may be some times in the middle of winter when the unit is unreliable or out of service.

Other than that though there seem to be lots of BYCers who do enjoy being able to stand in the kitchen and know what temperature it is inside the coop, and if that helps keep you happy then for sure go ahead and do it [​IMG]

Pat, who lives with a thermometer-mad husband so we have two outdoor sensors, about four indoors, plus max/min units in the chickens, the horse barn, the garage, and a couple spares for special-purpose use [​IMG]

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Chickenmenagerie

Chickenmenagerie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have one - Oregon brand from Target. I put it in the coop last winter to see if the heater was keeping it above freezing. Good for the summer too. My coop is not insulated and made from thin plywood - I shouldn't have been surprised that the coop temp was the same as the regular outside temp! I guess video will be next....

7. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I just bought a remote. Guess I'll be putting in the old fashioned kind too.
    Didn't know about batteries not working. [​IMG]

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I didn't have any problems with the cheap $10 sensor from Walmart, used it all last winter. And I just used the regular alkaline batteries, they lasted the entire season and then some.

9. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Ours is not in the coop (just outdoors) and it works well down to 20 below. Occasionally, there will be nights when it goes off for a while, but usually not for long (it projects onto the bedroom ceiling, so it is easy to notice).

My husband would probably enjoy hanging out with patandchickens' thermometer-mad husband. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Buckabucka,
    What brand do you have?
    Projects on the ceiling....that's cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by