Remove or Leave Goose Eggs in the Nest?

Willowfield

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2018
Aghadowey, Northern Ireland
One of my two female geese has started laying, for the first time with me. I'm having to remove the eggs as she lays them because our dog Tara is an accomplished egg hunter! Will this distress her or prevent her from continuing to lay?
They're unfertilised as there is no gander, so I give them to neighbours who love them.
Thank you

Well, I’m better with chickens but what I would say is either make the place they already are dog-proof or move them to somewhere else. The goose will keep laying though, don’t worry. Just leave the eggs and stop the dog.

Well, I’m better with chickens but what I would say is either make the place they already are dog-proof or move them to somewhere else. The goose will keep laying though, don’t worry. Just leave the eggs and stop the dog.
Thanks, it's really not practical to move them nor to keep the dog out as they all have free range in the garden and herb garden; chickens, dog, cat & geese!
I'll just remove each egg as it's laid if it doesn't affect her laying, just didn't want to upset her. Thanks again.

One of my two female geese has started laying, for the first time with me. I'm having to remove the eggs as she lays them because our dog Tara is an accomplished egg hunter! Will this distress her or prevent her from continuing to lay?
They're unfertilised as there is no gander, so I give them to neighbours who love them.
Thank you
There is no point in leaving her have infertile eggs. I do recommend that you give her a fake egg to keep her comfortable with her nest.

I had nesting geese and an Airedale. I noticed that eggs were disappearing from the goose nest but had not figured out that I had an "egg sucking" dog. The dog made the mistake of reaching under a goose to grab an egg. The goose grabbed the dog by her lip from the side, clamped down and twisted. The dog did drag the goose off of her nest trying to get away. It cured the Airedale from stealing any more of the goose's eggs.

Good luck.

I leave a golf ball and a fake chicken egg in my goose's nest, so she'll keep laying in that nest and not feel the need to switch to a "safer" nesting place. As she is my only goose, the eggs are infertile, and I use them for cooking and baking. I could leave them, but then the crows and the magpies would get to them. One year I had a magpie sit on the lawn just outside the goose house every time she was laying, ready to enter as soon as the goose got off her nest. Goose eggs are so good; I wouldn't feed them to wildlife - or dogs.

Back
Top Bottom