1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Removing babies from hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MagsC, Nov 1, 2008.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Okay, so far I have three babies out and one baby almost out. I am thinking I should wait for the fourth the hatch before removing to the brooder so the fourth doesnt become "shrink wrapped" from lack of humidity. I also have kept the humidity up by putting water into the hatcher through a vent hole with a straw, rather than open it up. The three babies keep trying to sit on the egg that is hatching. Should I remove them anyway or just wait it out?(Which is what I have been doing.)

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I'd wait until the first 3 are nice and dry and fluffy then reach in really quick and grab them. Unless the 4th is already hatching or zipping then I'd wait a bit longer.
    We've had some hatch on time and then a few stragglers from the same batch not hatch for a couple more days.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah, thats the reason I havent taken the other three out yet because the fourth one is partially zipped now. After he does I am going to quick take them out.[​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How long have the other 3 been out for ??

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    They started hatching later yesterday afternoon. The other one hatched a while ago and I quickly removed the four to the brooder. There is a black/yellow one, a greyish black one and all black one and a blondish one right now. As I was adding more water to the hatcher and closing it back up, I heard more peeping. However that could be from the silkie mix eggs due tomorrow. I hope I didnt mess anything up, I just didnt want to leave them in there too long. And nobody else was even pipping at the time I took them out.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    As long as you did it quick they should be fine !! I would of done the same since the other egg isent due till tomrrow !! Any pics of the four ??

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    As much as all I have tried to instruct me I am CLUELESS when it comes to pics. The only time I have been able to have a pic here is when I sent it to another member and they posted it for me.
    I would gladly do that, have to get one good pic of the four. I am so proud right now![​IMG]

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL !!!! I hear yah when it comes to pics.... I would help you out BUT we have dial up since we are out in the middle of no where and i refuse to pay $100 + a month for high speed, trying to upload pics on here takes me hours, thats IF it works !!!

Hopefully someone can help you and post the pics for you !!

I bet they are so cute !! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Hey Mags,

Congrats on the hatchlings!! I can't wait to see what you get from the Silkie mixed eggs. Keep the thread going [​IMG]

Shane

10. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Congrats, Mags! you sound pretty proud, and with good reason! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by