Removing eggs from broody hen

cundare

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
One of our hens disappeared a few weeks ago. We just found her the other day, hiding behind a fence, sitting on about a dozen eggs. She rarely leaves her private little nest and seems to be a poster girl for broodiness.

We don't want any new birds, and it would be a problem to have to raise a whole flock of chicks. But we're concerned about her reaction should we try to remove her eggs. Our oldest rooster left the yard recently after losing a hierarchy battle to a younger up-and-coming rooster, and the hens that were attached to him snuck off shortly after. It looks like they're gone for good.

Our broody hen was his favorite girl and I suspect that the only reason she's still here is because her nest was already established before her hubby left. The departed rooster came back a few times and hung around outside the property on the other side of the fence where she's nesting -- we now assume that he had been visiting her, since some of her feathers are visible from the other side.

This girl is a terribly good-natured, intelligent bird and we'd hate to lose her. But do we have any good options? Is there a way to collect the eggs before they hatch without traumatizing her?

C

Last edited:
:welcome

Where did the rooster go, do you know? Since you don't want any more birds, could you let the broody hatch those eggs and then re-home all of them maybe to wherever the rooster went?

:welcome

Where did the rooster go, do you know? Since you don't want any more birds, could you let the broody hatch those eggs and then re-home all of them maybe to wherever the rooster went?
Don't think so. She was originally brought into the yard as a baby by a feral hen who found a hidey spot here for her 11 chicks, which adopted our yard as their territory. Ms. Broody and the other hens that got out were the only survivors of the original 11. It'll probably wind up being up to her, but I suspect that, until her potential new chicks reach age of independence, she'd try to raise them in the same spot here. Once they were old enough to be on their own, she'd probably leave to go live with her guy, who I think must be right down the block (we can hear him crow in the distance). The two of them were very close.

Last edited:
Actually, I've been a member here for two years & have contributed messages int he past. Not sure why I'm being flagged as a new member.

But thanks for the well wishes, regardless.

Evidently, you posted in the New Member forum. If you would like me to move your post to this forum Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying I can do that for you.

Last edited:
Hi NFC -- yes, thanks, that would be good. For some reason, BYC thinks I'm a new member. Now that I think about it, the site never asked me which forum I wanted to post to.

C

You've been moved to the correct forum, hope you find the answers you're looking for.

One of our hens disappeared a few weeks ago. We just found her the other day, hiding behind a fence, sitting on about a dozen eggs. She rarely leaves her private little nest and seems to be a poster girl for broodiness.

We don't want any new birds, and it would be a problem to have to raise a whole flock of chicks. But we're concerned about her reaction should we try to remove her eggs. Our oldest rooster left the yard recently after losing a hierarchy battle to a younger up-and-coming rooster, and the hens that were attached to him snuck off shortly after. It looks like they're gone for good.

Our broody hen was his favorite girl and I suspect that the only reason she's still here is because her nest was already established before her hubby left. The departed rooster came back a few times and hung around outside the property on the other side of the fence where she's nesting -- we now assume that he had been visiting her, since some of her feathers are visible from the other side.

This girl is a terribly good-natured, intelligent bird and we'd hate to lose her. But do we have any good options? Is there a way to collect the eggs before they hatch without traumatizing her?

C
Any updates?

No, still trying to figure out the answer to my original question. Is removing the eggs going to cause problems?

The rooster has left for parts unknown & taken his favorite hens with him. We still hear him crowing, but he's probably taken residence in some neighbor's yard, out of our sight.

Last edited:
This is a tough area for that. Lots of cockfighting rings. I would hate to raise the male chicks from babies and then sell them to people who would subject them to a torturous death. Much better that they never hatch in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom