Removing eggs from broody hen

Can you place her AND the eggs in a coop she must stay in?
Well, here's the situation, which I didn't go into before. These are all free-rangers. They have no coop, but normally sleep in a large mango tree on the property. They fly into the upper branches every night where they're pretty safe. This hen found a hiding spot on the ground where even we didn't see her for a week.

You shouldn't have any problems beyond dealing with a broody hen. As theoldchick mentioned, if you don't want her to set you will need to break her. The tips in the article will help you with that.

Please do break her though if you are not interested in babies. A hen that stays perpetually broody puts significant strain on her health. Plus, if she's out trying to set in the open unprotected she is nothing more than a chicken dinner for predators.

You shouldn't have any problems beyond dealing with a broody hen. As theoldchick mentioned, if you don't want her to set you will need to break her. The tips in the article will help you with that.

Please do break her though if you are not interested in babies. A hen that stays perpetually broody puts significant strain on her health. Plus, if she's out trying to set in the open unprotected she is nothing more than a chicken dinner for predators.
I guess I do need to act soon. I think she's pretty safe hidden where she is, and the only nocturnal predators we have here are neighborhood cats, which don't have a history of attacking birds in our yard. But yes, she is looking stressed, so maybe we have to do this.

The problem is she almost never leaves the eggs. I'd hate to have to tear her away. I'd hoped at worst to steal the eggs when she was away from the next and replace them with wooden-egg replicas. But maybe that doesn't solve all the problems.

I guess I do need to act soon. I think she's pretty safe hidden where she is, and the only nocturnal predators we have here are neighborhood cats, which don't have a history of attacking birds in our yard. But yes, she is looking stressed, so maybe we have to do this.

The problem is she almost never leaves the eggs. I'd hate to have to tear her away. I'd hoped at worst to steal the eggs when she was away from the next and replace them with wooden-egg replicas. But maybe that doesn't solve all the problems.
She will be upset for a while, but it's best for her in the long run. Since she's constantly on the nest, she's not out moving and dust bathing as she normally would be, making her more prone to parasites as well. The metabolism slows when a bird broods because the bird doesn't eat as much. If you couple that with a mite infestation, a bird could very likely waste away on a nest--especially if broody longer than natural incubation time. Some birds do give up on their own, but others would either hatch something or die trying.

The only reservation I have is stopping incubation on eggs that have developed significantly. That's a personal feeling though. That also explains why my feed bill is the way it is. :oops:

This is a tough area for that. Lots of cockfighting rings. I would hate to raise the male chicks from babies and then sell them to people who would subject them to a torturous death. Much better that they never hatch in the first place.

That is unfortunate. It's too bad you don't want them for yourself. Do what you think is best.

That is unfortunate. It's too bad you don't want them for yourself. Do what you think is best.
This is so hard. We try to take care of the birds that adopt our yard, and their offspring, especially "rescue" birds that have escaped from, or been discarded from, cockfighting rings because of their injuries. We don't cage them and try to give them a good quality of life, including good food & a lot of personal time. But as adorable as little puffball chicks can be, we just don't have the room to adequately care for a dozen new baby birds.

And giving them away or selling them is risky, given the way people treat chickens around here. If one wanders into the road, some people swerve to hit them. Last summer, a kid leaned out of a passing car with a pistol to try to shoot a hen that was by our gate. I don't know what's wrong with some people.

Last edited:
Well, I took the eggs yesterday, when she was briefly off the nest, taking some food. She didn't see me do it. I swapped the 11 real eggs for 4 wooden imitation eggs. She's sitting on them now.

I tried giving her some live food last night -- a favorite! -- and she attacked me. She pecked so hard that I thought she'd broken the skin on my hand. That's unusual for a bird that is normally so good-natured. So I guess she's not too happy about the change in her eggs.

Not sure what happens next.

Back
Top Bottom