Removing feathers for Fly-Tying

obeloinkment

Chirping
Aug 3, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Forgive me if this is in the wrong area of the forum, I'm a bit new, but it seemed to be the best place.

I'm wondering about removing a feather or two from a chicken and if this feels the same as one of us plucking a hair, or if it is all together much more serious. I see feathers laying around and I see them come off birds here and there but I don't seem to find the lovely, long neck hackle feathers that I use to tie jigs and wet flies. I certainly would hate to cause my ladies any harm, but am wondering if there is a quick, relatively painless way to get a few feathers? Said feathers can be quite pricey at the fly tying shop.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong area of the forum, I'm a bit new, but it seemed to be the best place.

I'm wondering about removing a feather or two from a chicken and if this feels the same as one of us plucking a hair, or if it is all together much more serious. I see feathers laying around and I see them come off birds here and there but I don't seem to find the lovely, long neck hackle feathers that I use to tie jigs and wet flies. I certainly would hate to cause my ladies any harm, but am wondering if there is a quick, relatively painless way to get a few feathers? Said feathers can be quite pricey at the fly tying shop.
If you have any birds over a year old, hang on....pretty soon you'll have plenty of feathers due to molt.

Can you snip a few with scissors about half way down and have enough for a fly? Then no pluck and she will remember that 2nd pluck lol
My uncle used to sneak one here n there from my grandmas hens during holidays :/ til the hens refused to go near him lol

If you snip too close (within 1/2 inch) to the base it may bleed...possibly on the hackle (definitely on a wing/tail feather. But you should be able to get a few nice ones with a hen in your lap and a pair of scissors :)

Back
Top Bottom