Removing feathers for Fly-Tying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by obeloinkment, Sep 2, 2013.

1. obeloinkment

obeloinkment Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    My Coop
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong area of the forum, I'm a bit new, but it seemed to be the best place.

I'm wondering about removing a feather or two from a chicken and if this feels the same as one of us plucking a hair, or if it is all together much more serious. I see feathers laying around and I see them come off birds here and there but I don't seem to find the lovely, long neck hackle feathers that I use to tie jigs and wet flies. I certainly would hate to cause my ladies any harm, but am wondering if there is a quick, relatively painless way to get a few feathers? Said feathers can be quite pricey at the fly tying shop.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you have any birds over a year old, hang on....pretty soon you'll have plenty of feathers due to molt.

1 person likes this.
  3. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Can you snip a few with scissors about half way down and have enough for a fly? Then no pluck and she will remember that 2nd pluck lol
    My uncle used to sneak one here n there from my grandmas hens during holidays :/ til the hens refused to go near him lol

4. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    If you snip too close (within 1/2 inch) to the base it may bleed...possibly on the hackle (definitely on a wing/tail feather. But you should be able to get a few nice ones with a hen in your lap and a pair of scissors :)

5. obeloinkment

obeloinkment Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    My Coop
    :D Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by