Removing some eggs from incubator to put under hen. Yes or No?

I think @Faraday40 has a
natureright.
I have had terrible luck with shipped eggs
1/41 out of 3 shipments from 2 vendors
I like the Nuture Right 360. It's very easy to set up and needs little more than adding water. I love it's compact size, built-in candler, and view when hatching. I have not tried the other.

I also used an "Incu-view" which I like, but the NR360 was $60 less and easy to buy from Amazon or Tractor Supply. (Look for sales and price matching)

I work with many teachers (That's why I've used many different brands) and many schools use the standard Hovabator or knock off styrofoam incubator. Hovabators (GFQ) are pretty good and have a large capacity, but you have to monitor closely and adjust things. The other brands of styrofoam incubators, I'm sad to say, are not worth it. They seem to work for a couple hatches then malfunction and kill the poor eggs. (A terrible tragedy when working with little schoolchildren waiting for chicks.)

I've used a Brinsea Octagon and it always had awesome results.... but cost prevents me from buying one for myself. The only other incubator in the same league is a home-made cooler-bator. I made a manual incubator years ago, but my 10 year old son made an incubator this summer using an Incu-kit. Affordable, easy to build, and amazing hatch results. However, there are many times I don't want to have a big cooler in my living room, so the little NR360 is my quick go-to incubator.
incubator features2.jpg incubator features.jpg

Often we hatch in an incubator and allow a broody hen to adopt the chicks. (She usually hatches 1-2 eggs and we slip the others under her. Chickens can't count, so we end up putting the mama in the brooder filled with chicks.)
IMG_2862 (2).jpg

Surprisingly, I was able to fit @Molpet 's turkey eggs in the NR360. I also hatched duck, chicken, and quail eggs in it. The quail eggs each needed their own section. Not every egg turned, every time, but it was adequate.
IMG_2859.JPG

As far as shipped eggs, I always prefer to buy local or take a drive to pick up. The mail is extremely hard on eggs.

Sadly no, one under the hen had internally pipped but then died. The other 3 never internally pipped- two of those had the air cell the opposite end to normal and one had a side air cell. I'm lucky I got my one baby, but I'm now 1/23 from 3 different hatches form 2 different suppliers of millifleur pekin eggs. Thinking it might be time for a new incubator before I try any more. Anyone got a review of the Janoel 24 or Nurtureright 360?
I am so happy you got one but sorry for the loss.
I have 2 Jonoel24's I use Iv had good results with them they are strong enough to rotate the eggs and I can get the humidity to 78% the only issue is you need to monitor the water in them every day. They hold 15 geese eggs and 24 duck eggs. I keep the eggs in there till lock down then move them to my hovobator for hatching. I also use 2 humidity monitors in each hatch.
I admire you for going and getting the eggs but since you mentioned broken air cells I thought I would ask. Did you let the eggs set still for 24-48 hours after you got them home pointed end down so they could resettle there air pocket. even if you were the transporter the eggs will get a little messed up from any transport. even a rough trip from the barn to the house can scramble the eggs a bit. Just a thought broken air sells dont usually come from incubation.
Let us know how the next round goes.

@drakezilla
Good tips. With shipped eggs, the air cells are at best jiggly - sometimes fully detached and rolling like an air bubble in a level. Allowing them to rest is good, but I also like to incubate them upright. It may help the air cell re-attach.

Another tip is to make sure the incubator is cleaned well between uses.

Thanks a bunch for your reviews @Faraday40 and @drakezilla and all your help. The first lot (0/12 hatch) I let sit for about 36 hours before starting them, but wondered if I had let them sit too long as its been quite warm here (gets to high 20's Celsius, maybe even 30 inside the house here in summer), so the second lot (1/7 hatch) I let sit for only 8 hours before starting them. The incubator has an upright egg turner rather than the belly roll style.

The broody I have wouldn't take my chick- liked it when it was being nice and still and quiet like an egg overnight, but as soon as it started chirping and moving around in the morning she freaked out and wanted it gone. It's a pity as she's a Pekin (bantam cochin) so I thought she'd love it. She's still sitting and i have another batch of my own eggs (just a fertility check really) due later this week when her eggs would be due to hatch so I might try her again then and if she's still not keen then it's broody jail for her. I have brought a couple of silkie day old friends for my lonely chick (yay for chicken math) and am currently brooding it myself. Also, the new titan mother hen plate i brought didn't heat up at all when i turned it on so had to borrow a brooder while i try to get that fixed. Murphy's law huh?

Lets go for 3 times a charm! I bet you.ll always have a special bond with the one that made it. As for the jonoel 24 Mine do well but spent some time this weekend on facebook trying to help someone get theres working after it went down (computer locked up). Jonoel24 has a facebook group you may want to read through it before buying. Most folks happy but a few with problems. Happy hatching

So went to put the eggs into lockdown and one little chick had already beaten me to it! luckily got into the middle out of the way of the egg turners. Another day later a friend joined it. The broody hen didn't take either of them sadly so they went into the brooder with the other chicks and have been doing well. Never got around to kicking the broody off her egg (later batch) and it hatched last night! I'm keeping a close eye on her though as i expect she's going to kick this baby out too, despite the fact it hatched under her. She sits super well on the eggs and likes chick when they're quiet, but as soon as they start moving she thinks they're a threat and pecks at them.

Seing as the first lot of eggs started hatching 5 days ago i thought i'd do eggtopsys there also. First one never internally pipped or absorbed yolk, some water around it or perhaps mushy chick? It's a pity as that's the only pure silkie i seem to have. Next one...started bleeding...oops still alive! poor thing is back in the incubator with coconut oil on the membranes. lucky i'd only made a little hole as i like to proceed carefully just in case so only a little blood. hopefully it makes it. Any other suggestions as to what i should do for it? I had gotten as far as removing the top portion of the shell- the airsac part and just made a tiny hole in the internal membrane. My assumption is i just leave it alone as long as possible though i'm not sure if ill have to help it out now i've ruined its egg? hard to see which part is where but i don't want to play with it too much, think i can see a leg but not sure if i can see the beak so wonder if it is malpositioned?

So went to put the eggs into lockdown and one little chick had already beaten me to it! luckily got into the middle out of the way of the egg turners. Another day later a friend joined it. The broody hen didn't take either of them sadly so they went into the brooder with the other chicks and have been doing well. Never got around to kicking the broody off her egg (later batch) and it hatched last night! I'm keeping a close eye on her though as i expect she's going to kick this baby out too, despite the fact it hatched under her. She sits super well on the eggs and likes chick when they're quiet, but as soon as they start moving she thinks they're a threat and pecks at them.

Seing as the first lot of eggs started hatching 5 days ago i thought i'd do eggtopsys there also. First one never internally pipped or absorbed yolk, some water around it or perhaps mushy chick? It's a pity as that's the only pure silkie i seem to have. Next one...started bleeding...oops still alive! poor thing is back in the incubator with coconut oil on the membranes. lucky i'd only made a little hole as i like to proceed carefully just in case so only a little blood. hopefully it makes it. Any other suggestions as to what i should do for it? I had gotten as far as removing the top portion of the shell- the airsac part and just made a tiny hole in the internal membrane. My assumption is i just leave it alone as long as possible though i'm not sure if ill have to help it out now i've ruined its egg? hard to see which part is where but i don't want to play with it too much, think i can see a leg but not sure if i can see the beak so wonder if it is malpositioned?

You can wrap the egg in a paper towel to give extra humidity. You can also gently apply antibiotic ointment to the membrane to keep it from turning hard and also makes it transparent to see if there are blood vessels. Keep checking until you see no more red blood vessels. If it didn't hatch by then, you may assist, but it's always better if the chick can hatch on its own.

I like the Nuture Right 360. It's very easy to set up and needs little more than adding water. I love it's compact size, built-in candler, and view when hatching. I have not tried the other.

I also used an "Incu-view" which I like, but the NR360 was $60 less and easy to buy from Amazon or Tractor Supply. (Look for sales and price matching)

I work with many teachers (That's why I've used many different brands) and many schools use the standard Hovabator or knock off styrofoam incubator. Hovabators (GFQ) are pretty good and have a large capacity, but you have to monitor closely and adjust things. The other brands of styrofoam incubators, I'm sad to say, are not worth it. They seem to work for a couple hatches then malfunction and kill the poor eggs. (A terrible tragedy when working with little schoolchildren waiting for chicks.)

I've used a Brinsea Octagon and it always had awesome results.... but cost prevents me from buying one for myself. The only other incubator in the same league is a home-made cooler-bator. I made a manual incubator years ago, but my 10 year old son made an incubator this summer using an Incu-kit. Affordable, easy to build, and amazing hatch results. However, there are many times I don't want to have a big cooler in my living room, so the little NR360 is my quick go-to incubator.
View attachment 2483120View attachment 2483121

Often we hatch in an incubator and allow a broody hen to adopt the chicks. (She usually hatches 1-2 eggs and we slip the others under her. Chickens can't count, so we end up putting the mama in the brooder filled with chicks.)
View attachment 2483124

Surprisingly, I was able to fit @Molpet 's turkey eggs in the NR360. I also hatched duck, chicken, and quail eggs in it. The quail eggs each needed their own section. Not every egg turned, every time, but it was adequate.
View attachment 2483132

As far as shipped eggs, I always prefer to buy local or take a drive to pick up. The mail is extremely hard on eggs.
OMG that picture of her kills me dead :lau
She's like - 'I don't know how I have so many babies but they're all mine and I will keep them'

Back
Top Bottom