Removing spurs. Who does this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wolftracks, May 26, 2010.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I'm thinking of removing the spurs of two of my roos, but still not sure I want to doit.

They are big heavy birds and very protective. Problem is I have so many grandchildren and lots of little ones. I had to chase one of the roos off a couple of times when the smaller ones (who had no interest in the birds) were playing in the yard.

I figure this may have to be an option here. I still have a scare from when I was 3 or 4 where a roo nailed me good.

How many remove the spurs and for those who do, how is it done.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I haven't done it, but need to. My roos spurs are getting long enough that they could injure a hen during mating. We plan to use a dremmel tool.
    This thread may offer you some insight:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=332387

As a side note, as docile as my roo is I always keep him seperate from our three year old GS. Basically the GS is allowed in the fenced yard only and the roo is not allowed in the yard. I'm of the opinion that a rooster's brain is just too dang small for him to be able to override instinct. He sees something small-ish running around making alot of noise; how can he distinguish whether thats a child or a predator? Just MHO.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Thanks for the thread. I'll check it out better when I have some quiet around here. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by