removing the spurs on a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kansaschicken, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Kansaschicken

Kansaschicken New Egg

Sep 25, 2009
    Does anyone know how or if it can be done? He is not mean, but the spurs are getting pretty big. Someone told me to take plyiers and wiggle them out is this true? Thanks for any help.

2. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    Blech that sounds painful and disgusting!!!!

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I would not do it that way; there would be a lot of bleeding and considerable pain. Do a search on here; there are many options including everything from cutting off the sharp points with a dremel / rotary tool to using a hot potato. I'm sure you'll find an option that will meet your needs.

4. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    Have you heard of the HOT potato method? Put a hot potato on the for a few then they come right off

5. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Some do the twist and pull method, which causes bleeding, but many say the rooster doesn't seem to be bothered by it. I'm sure he's bothered less by that than being made into stew.

Others use a Dremel tool to file it down.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. gallo4319

gallo4319 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    hi guys
    I always saw those spurs I dont cut them so close to the legs just the necessary approximately half of inch away from the leg to avoid bleeding.
    the hot potato method doesnt sound so bad I might gonna try this one sometime.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  7. Toril

Toril Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Virginia Coast
    All I will say, is that when a hawk went after my chickens, I'm very happy that both the roosters had their spurs intact. Unless a rooster attacked me, I wouldn't consider removing or cutting the spurs. The method suggested sounds very cruel and inhumane. People do a lot of weird stuff with animals... poor things!

8. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Out of curiosity, what are the reasons to remove a rooster's spurs? I can see this being useful on a mean rooster, but I'd most likely just get rid of the rooster as he'd probably still try to attack me even without spurs. I kind of like my roos to have their spurs in the hopes that they use them to give any predator that comes after the chickens a good smack-down. ^_^ I also just like the look of spurs on a rooster....as long as he's not trying to use them on me. [​IMG] I'd never realized how very pointy our big roo's spurs actually were until I was rubbing his legs down with vaseline last night as he looked like his leg scales were a bit raised, and I thought he might have the beginnings of scaly let mites; I poked the ends just to see how sharp they were, and the answer was very. [​IMG]

9. Fowl Visions

Fowl Visions Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I wrote a blog post about this over a year ago that has other methods of spur removal...How to Remove Rooster Spurs. In the comments you will see most tried the hot potato method.

10. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Interesting, DH and I had this conversation last night. He was wondering if we needed to "lose the spars" my replay was let's go to BYC and see what the pros say. Yeah, I think until they cause a problem, we'll wait and see. Thanks BYC'ers [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by