Rene's Little Chicks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Firearia, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

So, four dead chicks later I finally have some luck. At least for now, though I have a good feeling about it this time. Our hatchery EE didn't do so good as a broody, though I can't blame it all on her. I was in the coop yesterday and found one of the dead chicks and proceeded to remove it. I was with a friend and I came back to check on the other broody. I heard a little chirp and I started to cry. My poor friend couldn't figure out why and was very confused! [​IMG] I went home and then came back the next day to the baby still happy and running around. We have two or three eggs left to hatch. I'm not quite sure, I can't remember. Checking is out of the option with this momma, she'll usually murder you if you're within one foot of her. I was surprised as I tried to feed them both that I didn't get attacked. It's funny, she loves to hop up and sleep on you, but if you touch her without her permission? You better run fast. [​IMG]

UPDATE: 3 Little healthy chicks and a momma~

I'll have better pictures later as well as a video. I think this chick is crossed with one of my two EEs and my big BO rooster. My gut also tells me it's a boy.
    Oh and yes Rene's comb looks funny, she got the back of it ripped off when she was about three months old. I can't quite remember how it happened. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    love the chicks face in the last pic. too sweet! [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh I think chicks with Broody mamas are just absolutely precious. Love that little one's face.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That's one cute chick and one protective mom.

5. Firearia

Baby disappeared without a trace today. I'm getting tired of trying to do this the old fashioned way, that's five dead little chickies. I'm gonna really miss this one too, though, I really wish I saw this one, even if it was dead. I hate not knowing what happened to my animals.

6. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    Aww! So cute!

7. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:I am so sorry, that is just awful. [​IMG]

Your broody is beautiful though.[​IMG]

8. Firearia

Thanks guys, she just hatched out the remaining three eggs and I've moved them to a safer place. We're on day three, and all's well. The thing is though, I have to leave them with the neighbours because we're going on vacation down to the states, I'm excited but worried for these guys. x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by