Renting a incubator for a small public school

gpamela3499

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Catawba NC
I would like to rent an incubator for a small public charter school in The San Francisco Bay area or is there somewhere that does loaners for schools.
The future chicks have been provided and they will have a home after birth.

Last edited:
My daughters class at school recently incubated some chicks, The teacher ended up buying the incubator off ebay, for i think about $100.

In Australia you can hire them from some companies for schools, they do the eggs and everything. But i would imagine if you put the word out you would be able to find something, you may even get something donated

I'm not sure about renting them out, but I know a bunch of the hatcheries, as well as I *think* the Brinsea site sell classroom hatching kits at a discounted rate, but still super expensive if it's coming out of your own pocket. You might try asking at feedstores or on Kijiji, I know here we have listings from local farms that they'll give you the tools to hatch a clutch, including the brooding supplies and eggs, and when you're all done you just have to return it all (chicks included) to the farm. Not sure if that's a possibility there...

I think this is such a great idea for a school, I wish more schools could do things like this, I think it is so, so important for kids to know where their food comes from and how the life cycle works.

Good luck!!

I have donated the use of my incubator to the schools in my area in the past but you are too far away or I would let you use mine. Good luck and remember it can be hard to incubate at school. You have to keep an eye on the temps. Dont sit it by a window too much temp fluctuation. I know schools here turn the heat down at night and that can cause the incubator temps to fall. You want the bator in an area with near steady temps.

our extension office rents incubators out. post your question on the bay area bycers under the where am i thread. maybe somebody has an extra you can borrow

When I bought my LG a couple months back I emiled both my sons teachers (public school), 1st and 2nd grade and offered to do a hatching project for BOTH classrooms, different times, and was shot down. So sad, cause that would have been such an awesome project for little ones!!!
he.gif
One said she'd have to check w/ the principal because they were "live animals" then never asked ... the others just said no.

boo.
tongue.gif

Quote:
They're so lame!! I mentioned it to my kids' teachers, and they about died with excitement. The one said she thought she'd have to ask, but when I told her the kindergarten at the same school did the same project, she got all excited about it, and said they had a little money in their budget that would pay for the eggs. Woot! That first one is going to be all of the first grade teachers.

Except now I have 4 different hatching projects coming on come Feb/March. I can't wait!!! LOL

Quote:
You could send a note home with the kids and see if anyone has an extra incubator to loan for a hatching project, someone might have one. Or the other teachers.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom