Reoccuring curled toes in hen

Rt66Kix

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2017
St. Louis, MO area
A few months ago I had a hen with curled toes. I separated her from the flock, syringed her daily with Poultry Cell, and she recovered. It took almost a month though. Put her back in the flock, and she was fine for about 3 weeks. Now she's showing signs again, so again she is isolated so she doesn't get picked on. Slowly showing improvement with daily syringes of Poultry Cell, but I'm wondering long-term what is going on? Would appreciate any at all advice. Thanks!

Of course it's impossible to diagnose your hen. We can offer suggestions of things to try. Often these tips work, or at least help narrow things down as to possible causes.

Since Poultry Cell seems to have helped in the past, it suggests that dehydration and/or vitamin deficiencies may be part of her issues. This time, try giving large doses of B-2, 6, and 12, more easily given in a B-complex. I like B-100 as it has high amounts of these vitamins that can improve nerve function. I get it at Walmart and just pop the pill into the chicken's beak whole. In addition, it can compliment the B-therapy by including vitamin E which also helps in restoring neuro-function. Give E with egg or a sliver of a selenium tablet.

As to what can be causing this, let's hope it's a deficiency. The other causes are much more depressing.

Of course it's impossible to diagnose your hen. We can offer suggestions of things to try. Often these tips work, or at least help narrow things down as to possible causes.

Since Poultry Cell seems to have helped in the past, it suggests that dehydration and/or vitamin deficiencies may be part of her issues. This time, try giving large doses of B-2, 6, and 12, more easily given in a B-complex. I like B-100 as it has high amounts of these vitamins that can improve nerve function. I get it at Walmart and just pop the pill into the chicken's beak whole. In addition, it can compliment the B-therapy by including vitamin E which also helps in restoring neuro-function. Give E with egg or a sliver of a selenium tablet.

As to what can be causing this, let's hope it's a deficiency. The other causes are much more depressing.
Thank you so much! It's been quite cold at night...like 10-15F. She's in the coop with the others, but in a wire dog crate on the floor. I'm going to bring her home tonight and set up the cage in the garage. It's usually around 40-45 in there. Maybe a warmer place will help as well; at least she won't be expending extra energy.

Headed to Walmart today and will get B-100 pills. How do you suggest administering the Vitamin E?

Back
Top Bottom