Reoccurring paralysis

chicky-little

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2015
BC
I have a 5 or 6 month old Pullet that had a sudden onset of 1 leg paralysis. When we first got her home about 2 months ago she had a silimar incident where she appeared very weak and unsteady. I was concerned about Mereks,but I gave her some supplemental vitamins and she perked up. The only think was that her growth rate was quite slow and she's still smaller than I would expect her to be. She was completely healthy until yesterday she started having an issue with one leg. She stuck it out staight to walk and was resting much more than usual,but still eating and drinking well. I gave her more supplemental vitamins and she didn't seem to worsen over the way. Today she cannot support her weight at all. I helped her up and she tried,but her leg was not cooperating. Could it be a reoccurrence of Mereks or something else? Her feet look fine and we introduced 2 new chickens about 2 weeks ago, but they were from the same farm she came from and all in that flock are healthy. None of our other chickens are having issues.

It could well be Mareks, but it can only best be diagnosed with a necropsy and testing by your state or local college veterinary lab. Since the vitamins helped before, I would continue them. What vitamins are you using? Make sure they contain riboflavin. Can you post any pictures of her and the way she is sitting or lying? A chicken sling where you let her feet touch the ground may help to get her upright, in front of food and water, and can help to keep her clean. Take her out frequently to rest and to sleep. Keep her close to food and water. Here are some examples of chicken slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I'm really hoping it isn't Mareks! Thanks for the link eggsissive. I'm thinking/hoping it is due to a vitamin deficiency since last time the vitamins fixed her up. Hopefully they do again! I may need to change my feed. Unfortunately in our area we only have 2 choices of feed stores and each only sells one brand, so fingers crossed the other brand is better.

I'm really hoping it isn't Mareks! Thanks for the link eggsissive. I'm thinking/hoping it is due to a vitamin deficiency since last time the vitamins fixed her up. Hopefully they do again! I may need to change my feed. Unfortunately in our area we only have 2 choices of feed stores and each only sells one brand, so fingers crossed the other brand is better.
Also, try molasses as that may help. It works for wry neck which is a something that vitamin deficiency can cause so I bet that it could work

You can always use the human B Complex tablets crushed into food—1/4 tablet a day, or 1 whole tablet crushed into a liter of water.
upload_2019-1-2_14-35-11.jpeg

I agree with Wyorp Rock about getting a fecal test if possible. What feed are you presently using? Is it pretty fresh dated?[/QUOTE
I'll see what is available for testing in my area. It is co-op brand from our local store. I will have to see if I have the bag kicking around still. I'm thinking the other feed store may be worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom