Repeated no shell eggs

kproffer

Songster
Mar 22, 2019
SE Missouri
My sapphire gem started laying in September. She layed two normal pullet eggs but since then had only layed shell-less eggs. Her feathers are a mess from it as well as all the other eggs she sits on when she lays. She has access to oyster grit. Any chance she will ever lay normal eggs again?

It may be possible to "tune-up" her reproductive system with a calcium supplement of calcium citrate. Oyster shell, which is not grit by the way, is calcium carbonate and hard to digest and absorb, and even more difficult for some hens. Use this, it's easiest to digest and it will work much faster. One whole tablet each day until you're getting good quality egg shells. No, she won't choke on the large pill, just shove it into her beak and she'll swallow easily.
P1010010.JPG

Yes I mis-typed— I had been giving oyster shell, not grit. I will get this pill ASAP. How long do you expect it will take to help if it’s going to? Should I discontinue if eggs return to normal or continue a maintenance dose? Thanks for the advice!

I've had a hen respond with a good shell egg after just one day on the calcium citrate. The same hen two years ago was laying two eggs at a time and shells were missing or so thin they broke while she was leaving the nest, and it took three weeks of daily calcium tablets to resolve.

The rule is to stop the calcium when the hen is laying good quality eggs. No need for daily doses as maintenance. She can go back to using the oyster shell. But watch her egg quality and start the calcium citrate again if she falls back into shell-less or thin shell eggs.

If she ever acts like she's got a stuck egg, the first thing you need to do is give her the calcium citrate.

Is she consuming the oyster shell?
What is her regular feed...and any other foods/treats?
I guess it’s possible she’s not eating it. I have 15 hens so it’s hard to say. They eat layer feed (Nutrena or Dumor) and free range multiple days a week. They get scratch occasionally but not more than once or twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom