Replacement Duck Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trixieplain, Mar 28, 2015.

1. trixieplain

trixieplain New Egg

Jun 29, 2014
    Seattle Area
    Yesterday the Mallard duckling I hatched last year took off. She either flew away or, God forbid, something got her. I live in a semi residential area with an electric fence topper to keep out raccoons and not a whole lot of big birds have been spotted.
    It's bittersweet but I chose not to clip her wings the second time so if she chose she could go. This wasn't a domestic bird.
    HOWEVER, this leaves me with the Blue Swede drake I got to keep my Mallard company. I know he can't be alone. I'll give it a couple days to see if the girl comes back but I know it's unlikely. She's gone before and come back within a couple hours but not overnight like this before.
    So, I'm posting to get suggestions on a replacement breed. I'm only looking for one to keep him company. I'd like to get more eggs. Something friendly, not too noisy (since I do have neighbors).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    For quietness you can't beat a Muscovy and female would be compatible in size to your Swede too. They do fly though so clipping a wing would have to be done. They are personable too.

Welcome to BYC.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I don't think they get much noisier than mallards - mine was oh so chatty and loud for a little girl!

I'd be checking CL to see if anybody is looking to rehome a duck around the same size.

4. klemele

klemele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Try Rouen Ducks!!! They are about the same size of Blue Swedish Ducks do you care about noise?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by