Replacing Gas Water Heater

It's pretty easy once you know what you are doing :)

It's quieter, more energy efficient and more user friendly. I wanted the energy star model with energy coefficient of 0.67 but they don't have it in store. I would have to wait 3 weeks for them to ship it to store or my house. Eh.. 3 weeks with no hot water during the winter ? I got the "one level down" water heater instead 0.65 coefifcient.

I still have to solder a joint to direct the T&P drain line to the outside.. but overall it's up and running.

old vs new -- i have some HVAC aluminum tape lying around so.. why not..

I made some adjustment as well. It will be easy to remove and install a new water heater or anode rod with the compression fitting set up :) I got a water heater with a separate anode rod this time around instead of those 2 in 1 nipple type from Bradford White water heaters!. It will cost about $15-$25 for the anode rod instead of $45-$55 for those segmented anode rods.

total cost (tax included) around $780 vs $1299 Costco's quote (cheapest around)

DSCF4528.JPG
DSCF4600.JPG
DSCF4576.JPG
DSCF4551.JPG

DSCF4563.JPG

DSCF4588.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice job. Congratulations!
Where you live, I doubt you'll notice any difference between that one and the slightly more efficient one.
Most people around here are going to be letting their water faucets drip to keep pipes from freezing this week. It will be hovering around zero or below at night and single digits for highs. A couple days later next week will get a heat wave up into the teens.

2015 standard.jpg
Very nice job. Congratulations!
Where you live, I doubt you'll notice any difference between that one and the slightly more efficient one.
Most people around here are going to be letting their water faucets drip to keep pipes from freezing this week. It will be hovering around zero or below at night and single digits for highs. A couple days later next week will get a heat wave up into the teens.

The energy guide paper stated that it's $284 vs $264 a year. It might not be applicable for me due to usage though

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ural-Gas-Water-Heater-XG50T12DM40U0/204318411

vs

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ural-Gas-Water-Heater-XG50T12DM40U0/204318411

The old water heater has the coefficient of 0.58. Who knows.. maybe in 10 more years the next one i replace will have cofficient of .75 and it will be considered as non-energy star certified models :)

The funny thing in all of this is the contractor from Home Depot called me 3 days after i requested the work. I called them back "Thank you responding to my request but I've already installed it myself. I'll not be needing your service any more. Thank you very much".

I see they have the tank type water heaters with coefficient of 0.80 ? ULTRA HIGH efficient ones..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westing...le-Stainless-Steel-Tank-WGR080NG076/205625761

$2000-$2500 for a water heater? might as well at a tankless one at that price... I'll pass. I would not mind getting one if i was in a state where i need to use it at least 9 months out of the year.

Our gas bill is around $18 /month ($10 was service fee) x 9
for the winter months ($40-$50/month) x3

It will take a long time to break even so....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom