Replacing Laying Pellets & Mash

WillieBoy

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
What high protein grains would you use to feed your laying hens if you couldn't get laying pellets or mash..? Or, they are availble, but you just want to feed them differently, and still get good laying results.Soybeans and hard wheats have a higher protein content.Would these grains be good, what others should be included.What vitamins and minerals should be included..? I let my hens range after they finish laying, so i think they are getting some good stuff they need while rangeing.Thanks for any good advice..

Soy is the most common. Some people also (or alternatively) use canola, field peas, alfalfa and/or fish meal. There are complete poultry vita mixes that you can have added to balance vitamins and minerals. Most of those are formulated for males/non-laying females so for a layer flock you will generally either want to have calcium added as well or offer it free choice on the side in the form of egg shells or oyster shell.

Don't just look at your crude protein though, you need to look at your amino acid balance.

Back
Top Bottom