Replacing roosters.

chasethomas

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2015
Utah
Recently I received a Polish rooster from a neighbor who was moving and could no longer have chickens. My previous rooster is silver laced Wyandotte and a total jerk. I'm sending him to the chopping block and going have the Polish rooster take his spot. How should I go about doing this?
Thanks!

I would quarantine the new rooster for at least 2 weeks. The longer the better. Then you'll know during that time if you're introducing disease, lice, mites, worms, etc..
During that time, it will give you an opportunity to butcher your rooster.
A couple days or so after your rooster is gone, the other can be inserted into the flock. Roosters integration into a flock of hens tends to go easier than a lone hen inserted into a hen flock.

I would worm your polish rooster as soon as you get him and periodically check him for lice and mites. When given a clean bill of health, he's ready.

He may not be the protector your Wyandotte is since he can't see overhead.

Polish Roosters can be aggressive...Mine was awful last year. Loved the hens, hated me. Attacked me every chance he got. No longer here.
Anyways, yes, slowly introduce him to the flock in a look no touch pen for a few days and then let him out.

Best of luck with him...

What I'm seeing with him so far is that he is really scared me. I'm not so worried about him being aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom