Reproductive issue? Please help.

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
My 2 year old Sapphire gem is acting weird. Yesterday she spent most of the day in the nesting box. Was acting a little off.
Today, she’s been sitting around, panting. It was about 70 degrees here today.
She does not seem to be straining, but her abdomen is slightly swollen. Does not feel like a balloon, but mushy.
Her vent seems dry and small for a hen that should be laying. I’m not sure when she last layed an egg, as I have many hens.
They are fed layer feed with OS on the side.
I have her separated for now. Could this be internal laying? All help is appreciated.
3DE7AEA0-9EFF-4230-A312-0ACB0D486712.jpeg

My 2 year old Sapphire gem is acting weird. Yesterday she spent most of the day in the nesting box. Was acting a little off.
Today, she’s been sitting around, panting. It was about 70 degrees here today.
She does not seem to be straining, but her abdomen is slightly swollen. Does not feel like a balloon, but mushy.
Her vent seems dry and small for a hen that should be laying. I’m not sure when she last layed an egg, as I have many hens.
They are fed layer feed with OS on the side.
I have her separated for now. Could this be internal laying? All help is appreciated.
View attachment 2646385
Could be internal laying, Peritonitis or some other reproductive disorder.
For me, if they are not getting picked on by the flock, I leave them with the flock.
I do make sure they are staying hydrated.
IF there's fluid in the belly sometimes it can be drained to give them some relief for a short period of time.

Could be internal laying, Peritonitis or some other reproductive disorder.
For me, if they are not getting picked on by the flock, I leave them with the flock.
I do make sure they are staying hydrated.
IF there's fluid in the belly sometimes it can be drained to give them some relief for a short period of time.
Thanks for the reply. She was getting stepped on, so I thought I should remove her.
She ate and drank willingly.:yesss:
Is there any way to tell which disorder this could be?
Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the reply. She was getting stepped on, so I thought I should remove her.
She ate and drank willingly.:yesss:
Is there any way to tell which disorder this could be?
Thanks for your help!
Good move if she was getting stepped on.

Unfortunately, most of the time there's no way to know what is happening unless you lose them and either do your own necropsy or send the body to your state lab for further examination.

Good move if she was getting stepped on.

Unfortunately, most of the time there's no way to know what is happening unless you lose them and either do your own necropsy or send the body to your state lab for further examination.
Ok, thanks for your help. I guess I’ll let her enjoy the rest of her time unless she seems to be suffering.

Unfortunately she was dead when I came out this afternoon.
I don’t think I’ll send her in for necropsy, as I think it was a reproductive problem.

Attachments

• 2E0CAB20-C1BB-43FB-9AAD-36B830940742.jpeg
    2E0CAB20-C1BB-43FB-9AAD-36B830940742.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • A7152EAC-F53F-4186-B543-BC51699C130C.jpeg
    A7152EAC-F53F-4186-B543-BC51699C130C.jpeg
    585.4 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom