Reptile Club! <3

Pics
It is not difficult. I have successfully incubated snake and lizard eggs in a small plastic tub with damp vermiculite and a heat pad. That requires attention to the temp and humidity and resisting the urge to open the thing up an mess with the eggs. A modern incubator makes it much easier as it electronically controls the temp and humidity. You still have to monitor it and add water from time to time and you still have to leave the eggs alone and not mess with them too much. Lots of people with no experience at all manage to successfully incubate eggs. Not any harder than incubating chicken eggs, but remember reptile eggs should not be turned, they stay in the position they were laid in. Oh and they have soft shells (most of them) you can also find lots of snakes that are "live bearers" (ovoviviparous) where the eggs develop inside of the snake's body with no shells. then the babies are born inside a membrane that they break out of fully formed. Boa Constrictors, Garter snakes and some pit vipers are examples.
Very interesting!
And when the snake hatches, is it a straightforward thing to look after the baby?
Suppose you just feed them lil pinkies or something?

I have a tortoise. Malcolm the Marginated. I’m not sure yet if he is male as he’s only 2 years old so goodness knows what I will do if he is actually a female! :lol:
C9A23638-047C-4CE0-9F79-3F0A66F9724C.jpeg

Very interesting!
And when the snake hatches, is it a straightforward thing to look after the baby?
Suppose you just feed them lil pinkies or something?
Pretty much. They have a bit of egg yolk left usually so you don't have to feed immediately, some people wait until after their first shed. The really challenge is making sure you have a steady supply of day appropriate sized pinkies. depending on the species you could have 10-20 babies or even more. You can get frozen ones that you thaw but some snakes won't take them right from the start and need to be fed live. I would usually keep baby snakes in their own individual shoebox sized tubs, with the right temp and humidity and just paper towels for substrate and a small hide box and small water dish. that makes it easier to be sure that each of them is actually eating and thriving.

Would it be smart to breed your own mice with snakes? That way you almost always have a supply of various sizes?

Pretty much. They have a bit of egg yolk left usually so you don't have to feed immediately, some people wait until after their first shed. The really challenge is making sure you have a steady supply of day appropriate sized pinkies. depending on the species you could have 10-20 babies or even more. You can get frozen ones that you thaw but some snakes won't take them right from the start and need to be fed live. I would usually keep baby snakes in their own individual shoebox sized tubs, with the right temp and humidity and just paper towels for substrate and a small hide box and small water dish. that makes it easier to be sure that each of them is actually eating and thriving.
That's cool!
Only reason I'm asking is because apparently the snake I'm getting is showing signs of breeding behaviour (male). Would be really cool to see if I could breed it to another one in the future.

Back
Top Bottom