1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Repurposed packing crate into nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Arielle, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've been saving a wooden plywood packing crate all winter, knowing the 23 hens will need about 4 nesting boxes. DH, because he likes doing such things, remodeled the inside putting in dividers to create 4 nesting boxes.

I rolled it end over end to the coop and placed in the corner. Filled each with straw, placed the extra straw on the flat top for storage.

THis was 3 days ago. THe first egg arrived today! Not in the next boxes but in the extra straw on top!!![​IMG]

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    silly chickens! Try putting a fake egg or golf ball inside the nest area, they like to lay where they think other chickens have laid eggs

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Right! I forgot about doing that!

3 girls gave us eggs today--my 2 boys thought the pullet egg was cool. Yesterday's egg turned out to be a double yolker. Made for good waffles!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  4. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    that's a handy bit of advice... didn't know they were the same as dogs [​IMG] (you know peeing where they've already pee'd, laying where they've already laid)

Quote:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG] Figures....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by