Repurposed playhouse coop

1C74FA60-3730-4AB1-AA36-77DB53970612.jpeg
B891D5B9-5EEF-4A7F-8EA3-1DE88D4B11CD.jpeg
92B3B26A-D672-4CDA-A941-6D2ACB59AB19.jpeg
1354947C-8457-4656-BEDE-94E132BF6AE4.jpeg
I was able to get some inside pics of the playhouse, no mean feat since the current door is 21x42” and I’m 6’ tall and not skinny. I discovered that it has a ridge vent which is a huge plus ventilation-wise. It’s framed on 24” centers which will make putting a door and additional additional vents in fairly simple. Also, the eaves are just covered with siding so I easily add venting there as well.

Yes! What Penny said. It's called a hardware cloth apron and the run should have one all the way around. And depending on any cracks or small openings on the playhouse, it might need HW cloth, too. 1/2 inch is the biggest opening you should have. Sigh. My DH is complaining about how cut up his hands are from installing all that HW cloth.

Good luck! It's going to look adorable!
We’re definitely going with the hardware cloth apron and sides of the run. Do we need to do hardware cloth for the top of the run as well, or is it possible to go with 1x2 mesh there? We want our girls to be safe from predators, both winged and four-legged.

We’re definitely going with the hardware cloth apron and sides of the run. Do we need to do hardware cloth for the top of the run as well, or is it possible to go with 1x2 mesh there? We want our girls to be safe from predators, both winged and four-legged.

I’m no expert even though I pontificate here regularly. (I read a lot!) I’d say it depends on the height of your run, and the presence of climbing predators. Like raccoons, which are everywhere. But someone else should chime in here.

I’m no expert even though I pontificate here regularly. (I read a lot!) I’d say it depends on the height of your run, and the presence of climbing predators. Like raccoons, which are everywhere. But someone else should chime in here.
Thank you! We have a lot of raccoons and possums around here, as well as coyotes & foxes. We were planning on going at least 6’ high with whatever is seen as best for the top.

Do we need to do hardware cloth for the top of the run as well, or is it possible to go with 1x2 mesh there? We want our girls to be safe from predators, both winged and four-legged.
Might be good to go with a solid roof on run so it will be more winter friendly.

Good news on the eave venting, tho that is odd construction.

Back
Top Bottom