Repurposed playhouse coop

MRichmond

Songster
Mar 12, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
We're new chicken keepers(8 8-day old chicks). We'd planned on building a coop, but happened on this 6x6 playhouse(at a discount!) that only needs a little altering to make it a great chicken coop. We figured that we could easily have spent more on time, lumber and mistakes than we spent on this playhouse. It's absolutely solid with a great roof.

We'll have to resize the door before we can do too much else. We're having the site prepped with stone for good drainage before it gets delivered.

We need to add vents (2 12" diameter louvered vents on the highest part of the front and back walls.
We plan to have an attached run, roughly 10x30
We need roosts with boards under for easy clean-up
3 nesting boxes(eventually...they're only peeps)
Either vinyl stick-down tile(we have already) or sheet vinyl
Electric for light and an outlet( we'll be adding electric to a new building that will be 15 feet away, so easy enough)

Any other thoughts? I've been through so many helpful posts here, but I'm sure I didn't hit every good idea, lol!

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 28
Definitely more ventilation! The standard is 1 sq. ft. per bird, so you really want more.

I'm jealous! I wanted something like this to make the building process easier. But DH has built me a coop now, just big enough for my four. (He has somehow caught on to chicken math and doesn't want any more birds!) Your plans sound great.

Where are you located? (You can add this to your profile pretty easily.) It helps in offering advice. Sometimes folks in cold climates want to skimp on ventilation, figuring warmth is more important. But actually, ventilation is more important!

Thanks for your suggestions! Unfortunately, the soffits are solid 2x4s, so I don’t think hardware cloth could work there. I could cut holes for 3” round soffit vents in the top of the sidewalls, though. I wish I’d gotten inside photos. I need to stop by the shed place and take some. If I do, I’ll update.
Solid 2x4s can be ripped off. Can you take a picture of the underside of the soffit area too?

With the pitch of the roof I would go with the cable vents. .I'm betting you will find a stub in the middle of the cable walls that would need to be cut out. The load it's carrying isn't much but should still be transferred by doing a little framing.
I agree with also making your nesting boxes on the outside. Just makes life easier in the long run

View attachment 1818673 This is the closest I can come from the pictures I have. I’ll try to get by there later today.
It looks like the 2x4 is nailed directly to the rafter tails. Are there gaps between the rafters or does the siding come up to the underside of the roof deck?
You could install short, wide vents high up on the siding between all the studs to get better ventilation as well.

We're new chicken keepers(8 8-day old chicks). We'd planned on building a coop, but happened on this 6x6 playhouse(at a discount!) that only needs a little altering to make it a great chicken coop. We figured that we could easily have spent more on time, lumber and mistakes than we spent on this playhouse. It's absolutely solid with a great roof.

We'll have to resize the door before we can do too much else. We're having the site prepped with stone for good drainage before it gets delivered.

We need to add vents (2 12" diameter louvered vents on the highest part of the front and back walls.
Electric for light and an outlet( we'll be adding electric to a new building that will be 15 feet away, so easy enough)

Any other thoughts? I've been through so many helpful posts here, but I'm sure I didn't hit every good idea, lol!

Bury hardware cloth standing them attached on the bottom so predators can not dig under

Nice score!
What is under the soffits? Can it be removed so you can cover it with 1/2" HC for more ventilation?
You will only need 2 nest boxes for 8 layers. I had 2 for 10 layers with no issues. That will save space if you are installing them on the interior of your coop instead of as bump outs.
Any pictures of the interior?

Yes! What Penny said. It's called a hardware cloth apron and the run should have one all the way around. And depending on any cracks or small openings on the playhouse, it might need HW cloth, too. 1/2 inch is the biggest opening you should have. Sigh. My DH is complaining about how cut up his hands are from installing all that HW cloth.

Good luck! It's going to look adorable!

Back
Top Bottom