request from ALBC

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I received the latest albc newsletter. In it is a request for keepers of Light Brahma chickens.

LIGHT BRAHMA CHICKENS
ALBC is looking for Light Brahma chickens. If you have Light Brahmas, we'd love to hear from you!
We'd like to know the strain (or source)of your flock, how long you've had the flock,
how you've had the flock, and how closely they meet the APA standard.

Please pass this request on to anyone you know who might keep this breed.

Thanks Rancher

You can go to their website and I'm sure there is contact information there. You also might consider joining just to show support for a great organization. With out our heritage breeds we'd have nothing to cross to get our "production birds".

All the best to everyone
Rancher

I'm not really sure. The beginning page of the "NEWS" letter has an article on "Breed Census Projects Are Underway". With out a correct count there is no way for the ALBC to know just how endangered this breed is.
IMO, considering the untrustworthy nature of them, hatchery counts should not be taken into consideration. It wasn't that long ago that some breeds were not available from the hatcheries as there were not enough to supply us.

What looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but isn't a duck? A hatchery duck! What do you get when you cross a hatchery Delaware to a hatchery Delaware? You don't know? Neither do the hatcheries. Of course this is just my opinion. Others are free to disagree.

Last edited:
Quote:
Light Brahmas aren't hard to come by, maybe for backyard folks, but they're everywhere. I have yet to go to a show and not see good light brahmas there, and they are from different breeders, not just the same few.

Light Brahma bantams or Large Fowl?
Bantams are everywhere. Large fowl are a little more scarce but then most large breeds are.

Quote:
I don't know if you're asking me that question or not, but I'm talking about large fowl. I see them everywhere. Although I am in the midwest and I don't know about all the other parts of the country.

David

Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:
I don't know if you're asking me that question or not, but I'm talking about large fowl. I see them everywhere. Although I am in the midwest and I don't know about all the other parts of the country.

David

I guess I was asking the question to who ever could answer it.
I was talking to 3 people this weekend in Texas alone who have them. I guess rare is relative.

Bob​

Back
Top Bottom